Showing 1598 resultsAuthority record
He was a 17th-century Dutch cartographer. He published the influential nautical atlas the Zee-Atlas and the pilot guide Zee-Fakkel
Gerard van Keulen was the son of Johannes van Keulen, a Dutch cartographer who started a publishing and book selling business in 1681. Gerard took over control of the firm in 1714 and continued to add to the company's vast body of cartographic work.
- 1947-10 -29
Born in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, the oldest of 3 brothers. Graduated from St. Francis Xavier University in 1968 with a degree in social sciences. Attended grad school in St. Louis, Missouri, 1970. Taught anthropology and sociology at UCCB/CBU from 1972 until retirement.
Antonio Zatta was a prominent Italian map publisher of the late 18th and early 19th century. His firm, based in Venice, produced maps that mark an important transition from 18th to 19th century cartographic styles. He updates and redefines the traditional title cartouche by replacing the mythic elements common to the 17th and 18th century with more representative images. His most important work is the four volume Atlante novissim.
- Corporate body
- 1951 - 1974
Xavier Junior College was founded in 1951 in Sydney Nova Scotia as a satellite campus of St. Francis Xavier University. Xavier Junior College was the first post-secondary educational institution on the Island of Cape Breton. It offered the freshman and sophomore years of many traditional university courses. The college was located in downtown Sydney, and throughout the years of its existence, it expanded to many different buildings in the downtown area. In 1960 the official name of Xavier Junior College was changed to Xavier College, this name would last until 1972 when the college would be renamed again to the St. Francis Xavier University Sydney Campus. In June of 1974, the college would amalgamate with the Nova Scotia Eastern Institute of Technology to form a new institution that offered traditional university courses but also offered new innovated courses for the modern world. This new institution was called the College of Cape Breton.
James Wyld (1790-1836) and his son, James Wyld junior, were successful London map publishers. Both had also served as a royal geographer. Wyld senior served as geographer to George IV and William IV. He was a founding member of the Royal Geographical Society. In 1812, James Wyld senior introduced lithography into map printing.
Philip H. Worgan was born at Cathrope, England in 1843. Worgan joined the Royal Navy, and eventually earned the rank of Commander. He participated in the Jamaican Revolution. Following his retirement from the Navy, he removed to Sydney, Nova Scotia where he took an avid interest in civic, social, industrial and religious activities, enjoyed photography, and was an active member of the Anglican Church. There he married Anna Blackadar in 1871. The couple had nine children: seven girls and two boys. In 1887 he was elected mayor of Sydney. He also served as Superintendent of Shipping at the International Pier in Sydney. Worgan and his family resided in their family home they called Ferndell. Worgan died in 1924.
Dr. Weldon Patton was born in Roslin, Nova Scotia, in 1881. After graduating from Dalhousie's School of Medicine in 1908, he practised in Newfoundland and numerous locations in Cape Breton, including Glace Bay, Broughton, Dominion, and Port Morien. Patton contributed to the war effort both by serving as a doctor during World War 1, and by tending to disabled soldiers after their return from war. He died in Port Morien in 1966.
- Jul 2. 1965
Rev. Thomas Wood became proficient in Mi'kmaq while serving as a missionary in Nova Scotia for the society for the propagation of the gospel in foreign parts. In preparing this work, he was able to use papers left by abbé Pierre Maillard, who had been a missionary to the Acadians and Mi'kmaq, 1735-1762. wood was also assisted by Jean-Baptist Roma, who had been Abbé Pierre Maillard's servant and was familiar with the abbe's handwriting.
- Cape Breton Fiddler
Winston "Scotty" Fitzgerald was a well-known Cape Breton fiddler. He began playing the violin at square dances and community socials. He later joined the Maritime Merrymakers and the Cape Breton Serenaders who performed regularly on CHNS, Halifax. Fitzgerald toured the Maritimes for three years with Hank Snow and during WW2, he enlisted with the Royal Canadian Army. Following the war, his band, Winston Fitzgerald and his Radio Entertainers, were heard on CJCB Radio for years. His career spanned a 60-year period and his music influenced many local artists. Fitzgerald recorded several albums and performed on many television shows, as well as making public appearances throughout the Maritimes and New England States.
Lieut. Percy Charles Willmot was born in 1887 in Birmingham, England. He came to Canada as a young man and worked at Crowell's Ltd., Sydney until his enlistment in 1914. He served Overseas with the 25th Battalion until 1919 when he was invalided home. He died 27 December 1919.
- Corporate body
- 1875 - 1962
The Western Union Cable Station at North Sydney began operation in August 1875 following the completion of underwater cable installation between Heart's Content, Newfoundland and Lloyd's Cove (Sydney Mines). The original station was located on Commercial Street in North Sydney and moved to Court Street in 1914 to accommodate a growing staff.
At the height of operations during the First World War, the office processed an average of 30,000 messages daily with a staff of over three hundred. Automation during the late 1920s resulted in a staff reduction and eventually the office was closed in 1962 after significant advances in satellite communications. The building was demolished August 15, 2016.
- Corporate body
In 1876, the Western Union Cable Office owned and operated a rooming house in North Sydney for single employees. It was sold by the company sometime before 1888 and eventually became the Albert Hotel. (Gillis, 12, 2005). Years later, in order to fulfill the need for affordable housing, The Western Union Housing Plan Committee was organized by employees of the Western Union Telegraph Company in North Sydney, Nova Scotia in cooperation with the company. The Plan gave employees the right to apply for loans from Western Union so they could purchase homes. The committee, which was led by a Treasurer/Secretary accepted loan applications from employees and worked with the secretary and treasurer at Western Union’s headquarters to determine if they qualified for the plan.
The committee was also responsible for holding regular meetings to discuss new housing plans and to submit monthly reports to Western Union’s General Auditor about their loan accounts and the status of employee loans and insurance, and also to advise other Western Union Housing Plan committees at company sites in St. Pierre Et Miquelon and Hearts Content, NF. They also worked with Canadian Aladdin Company, a housing design firm that sold pre-fabricated homes to employees. The properties purchased by employees would belong to Western Union until the employee paid off their loan. If employees were still taking a loan from the company and they were transferred, they could either stay in the program and would be given a property in their new location or opt out of the program and lose their housing benefits. The program was intended for employees below the manager level that worked a certain number of years. The committee began in 1919 and existed until at least 1934.