Showing 1593 resultsAuthority record
Mudoch Beaton lived on the Shore Road in Harbourview near Port Hood. He married Mary Christina MacDonell. He is remembered for his wit and talent as a storyteller.
Jacques Nicolas Bellin was appointed hydrographer (chief cartographer) to the French Navy at the age of 18 in 1721. He was eventually named the official hydrographer to King Louis XV. A member of the French intellectual group, the philosophes, Bellin's work was known for intellectual rigour and high quality often copied by other cartographers. His maps set a high standard of production and accuracy and were often copied by other cartographers. During his term in office he was commissioned to carry out major coastal surveys. In 1764 he published the Petit Atlas Maritime in 5 volumes.
Joseph Bernard, marquis de Chabert was a French naval officer, geographer and astronomer. He was commissioned in 1750 to go to North America to correct the maps of the coasts of Acadia, Isle Royale and Newfoundland. It was during this trip that Bernard visited Louisbourg and established an observatory. He documented his findings in the publication "Voyage fait par order du Roi en 1750 et 1751".
Stephen R. Black was born in Grand Mira North to parents Roderick and Ann MacDougall, both of whom were born in Scotland. He worked as a carpenter-contractor in Sydney for most of his adult life but also spent a few years in Boston. Black was remembered as a great Gaelic scholar and vocalist. He was very active in the Scottish Catholic Society of Canada.
Phyllis R. Blakeley was born in Halifax, N.S., on 2 August 1922, the daughter of Cecil Pearson Blakeley and Clara Amanda McLearn. She received a BA (1942) and MA (1945) from Dalhousie University. She taught briefly at Alexandra School in Halifax and joined the staff of the Public Archives of Nova Scotia as a research assistant in 1945. She served as Assistant Provincial Archivist, 1959-1977; Associate Provincial Archivist, 1977-1981; and Provincial Archivist, 1982-1985. She received an honourary LLD from Dalhousie University in 1977, was a member of the Order of Canada (1978) and a Fellow of the Royal Nova Scotia Historical Society (1979). She wrote extensively under her own name, as well as under her early pseudonym, Ruth Blake. Phyllis Blakeley died in Halifax on 25 October 1986.
- Corporate body
Founded in 1966, the Boardmore Theatre presents an annual season of plays, including plays for young audiences, four to five full length plays, a bi-annual Shakespeare production and a bi-annual Broadway Musical, and a one week one act play festival with an emphasis on new play development. The Boardmore Playhouse is home to the Theatre and a 337 seat venue which is the centre for the performing arts at Cape Breton University. Throughout the school year and summer months the CBU Boardmore Playhouse is also involved with a number of community projects. The Playhouse provides practical expertise to community theatre groups in the form of workshops for young people as well as advise and leadership in summer theatre programs. It is named for its founders - Liz and Harry Boardmore - who nurtured a love and excellence for community theatre in Cape Breton.
Elizabeth Anne 'Liz' (MacDonald) Boardmore was born in Sheet Harbour, Nova Scotia in 1940. Liz was educated and trained as a teacher at the Provincial Normal College, Truro, and at St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish. After graduation, Liz taught at Duncan MacMillan High School in Sheet Harbour, where she met Harry Boardmore in the 1960s. Liz and Harry married and came to Sydney in 1966 to teach at Xavier Junior College, later UCCB. The original plan was to come to the Junior College for two years and then be transferred to Antigonish, but Harry said, "there was something in the air... and we hated to leave." Liz and Harry established the Xavier College Drama Society and early productions and drama festivals took place on the top floor of the Lyceum in Sydney, which became the Xavier College Theatre. The productions America Hurrah! (1969) and The Serpent (1970) were particularly well received at both provincial and Dominion Drama festivals. When the new College of Cape Breton campus opened in 1979, the drama society and theatre moved to its new permanent home at the Playhouse. In 1990, it was renamed the Boardmore Playhouse in honour of Liz and Harry Boardmore, for their unwavering dedication to the development of community theatre in Cape Breton. Liz was a professor of English at UCCB for 28 years and she was much loved by her many students. Her enthusiasm and passion for theatre and education was always evident. She was recognized for her work with a Cultural Life Award (1993) from the Cultural Federations of Nova Scotia and with award from the Association of Teachers of English, Nova Scotia. Elizabeth Boardmore passed away on Sunday, February 15th, 2004 at the age of 64.
Harry Boardmore grew up in Longton, Staffordshire in the English Black Country. His initial interest in acting and drama was born out of trips to the local cinema with his grandmother as a child. In the 1950s, he attended the College of St. Mark and St. John in London where he pursued studies in speech and drama preparing for a career as a teacher. In the 1960s, Harry made his way across the Atlantic to Canada; he began teaching at Duncan MacMillan High School in the rural eastern shore community of Sheet Harbour, which is where he met Elizabeth 'Liz' MacDonald. Harry and Liz married and moved to Sydney to teach at Xavier College in 1966. The original plan was to come to the Junior College for two years and then be transferred to Antigonish, but Harry said, "there was something in the air... and we hated to leave." Liz and Harry established the Xavier College Drama Society and early productions and drama festivals took place on the top floor of the Lyceum in Sydney, which became the Xavier College Theatre. When the new College of Cape Breton campus opened in 1979, the drama society and theatre moved to its new permanent home at the Playhouse. In 1990, it was renamed the Boardmore Playhouse in honour of Liz and Harry Boardmore, for their unwavering dedication to the development of community theatre in Cape Breton. Harry was a faculty member at the University College of Cape Breton, teaching English and overseeing theatrical productions. He directed 64 plays during his tenure, and was credited for bringing contemporary and experimental theatre and voices to the stage. Harry Boardmore passed away in Bolivia in April of 2013 at the age of 82.
Matilda Bown was born in 1827 in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Bown taught art and painting in North Sydney. She spent a considerable amount of time on Sable Island and she became very interested in its natural history. Bown died 12 October 1910 at North Sydney.
Dougald Robert Boyle was born 10 September 1847 at Glenora Falls, Nova Scotia, the son of Scottish immigrants. He took his first teaching position at Port Hood ca. 1868 and later taught at West Arichat. Boyle married Mary Anne Tyrrell in 1872 and the couple had eleven children. Following teaching, Boyle was appointed Fishery Officer and Stipendiary Magistrate for Richmond County. He held these positions until 1911. Boyle was also active in community affairs, such a pressing for the Lennox Passage Bridge, improvements at Petit de Grat and for a rail line running between MacIntyre's Lake and Arichat. Boyle died in 1914.
- 1932 - 2013-06-26
Thomas Bray was born in Port Morien, 1932. He graduated from St. Anne’s High School, Glace Bay. He furthered his education at Xavier Junior College and the Nova Scotia Teacher’s College in Truro. He attended additional courses at St. Mary’s University, Dalhousie University, the University of the West Indies in Jamaica, and at University of new Brunswich earned three degrees (B.A., B.Ed., and M.Ed.). He met his wife Karen at UNB.
After high school he spent some time working for The Royal Bank of Canada before pursuing degrees in Education. He then taught for 32 years at Donkin Morien High School.
- Corporate body
The British Empire Steel and Coal Company was incorporated in 1920 for the purpose of acquiring the Dominion Steel Corporation and its constituent companies, the Dominion Coal Company and the Dominion Iron and Steel Company. It continued to function until 1928 when it was taken over by the Dominion Steel and Coal Corporation.
Douglas Neil Brodie was born on 15 January 1872 at Halifax, Nova Scotia, the son of Neil MacNeil and Margaret (Carroll) Brodie. He received his early education at the Halifax Academy. In 1901 he married May, the daughter of alderman D.H. Campbell. In 1900 Brodie moved to Glace Bay, Nova Scotia where he established a printing shop. Brodie later became a director of the Glace Bay Credit Union, served as a Corporal in the 63rd Rifles, and was elected to the Legislative Assembly for Cape Breton East as a member of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation (CCF), 1941-1945. He died at Glace Bay on 14 September 1954.