Showing 1601 resultsAuthority record
Sister Rita (Sister St. Clare Maureen) CND Clare was the eldest child of Donald and Mayme (Briand) Clare and grew up in Sydney, N.S.. She showed an interest in music from a young age and took private piano lessons as a child. Sister Rita continued her musical education while attending St. Joseph's School and then Holy Angels High where she was a choir member under the direction of Sister Mary Frederick. After her studies at St. Francis Xavier University, Sr. Rita received her diploma from the Royal Conservatory of Music. Between 1965 and 1969, she also received a BSc in Music and Music Education and MA in Music and Music Education from Columbia University. She continued her studies in voice and music at Westminster Choir College in Princeton, New Jersey, the Saratoga Potsdam Choral Institute, New York, and the Voice Care Network, Collegeville, Minnesota.
She entered the Congregation in Montreal in 1952, returning to the Maritimes following her profession. She served in Mabou, Inverness, Antigonish, Newcastle, NB and Holy Angels Convent, Sydney. As a member of the Congregation of Notre-Dame (CND), Sister Rita Clare dedicated her life to service in the form of education and arts promotion and advocacy. For most of her professional career, she was an outstanding educator and administrator in Music and Fine Arts with the Cape Breton Victoria Regional School Board. Sr. Rita Clare is well-known for her role as director of the Holy Angels Chorale, Cape Breton Youth Choir and was founder and director of the Cape Breton Chorale. Under her leadership, the Cape Breton Chorale has been recognized nationally and internationally for its artistic excellence.
In 1972, Sr. Rita was named Woman of the Year by the Professional Women's Club of Sydney and in 1985 she was made an honorary citizen of Sydney. A few years later, she was recognized by the Province of Nova Scotia for her work during the Canada Games and in 1991, Sr. Rita Clare was awarded the degree of Doctor of Letters Honoris Causa from the University College of Cape Breton (now Cape Breton University). This honourary degree identified Sr. Rita as a "leader in the Arts in Cape Breton and a foremost promoter of music education in Nova Scotia." Through the years, Sister Rita Clare has been recognized by various levels of government for her commitment to excellence and the cultural life of her community. In 2005, Sister Rita Clare was presented with the Jubilate Award of Merit presented by the Canadian Music Educators Association in recognition of significant contribution to Music Education in Canada.
Sister Rita Clare died May 30, 2017 in Sydney, Nova Scotia.
Bruce A. Clarke was the mayor of the Town of Glace Bay from 1982 until 1988.
James Thomas Coleman was raised by his grandmother, Catherine Coleman, in the Klondyke Hotel. Mr. Coleman retained ownership of the building after Mr. McKay died.
The Congregation of Notre Dame (C.N.D.) have lived and worked in many Cape Breton communities including Louisbourg, Arichat, Port Hood and Sydney. Their first school was opened at the Fortress of Louisbourg in 1726; the Sisters were taken prisoner during the first siege of the Fortress in 1744 and sent to France. They returned in 1748 to continue their work and were forced to leave for a second time in 1758 during the second siege of the Fortress. In 1856, nearly one hundred years later, the Sisters of the Congregation returned once again to Cape Breton but this time they settled in the remote Acadian village of Arichat, on Isle Madame (Scott, p. 74). The C.N.D. taught school in Arichat from1856 to 1900 when the school closed, and had a presence in Port Hood beginning in 1884.
The building of the Sydney convent was financed by the contributions of parishioners across eastern Cape Breton and built by a local contractor, John Morely. On November 23, 1885, three Sisters arrived in Sydney and took up residence at Holy Angels Convent. The Superior-General of the Congregation de Notre-Dame responded to a request by local pastor Fr. Quinan for help to begin educating local youth and sent Sister St. Domitilla as superior, St. Helen of the Cross as the music teacher, and Sister St. Mary Alexis to Cape Breton. The three Sisters were joined in December by Sister St. Margaret of the Cross, the first English speaking teacher at the school, and instruction at the new private institution began in early 1886, after the first boarders arrived on January 2nd. The attendance grew steadily during the first few years of operation, yet the school suffered from financial instability at times.
In December of 1892, Holy Angels opened as a public school due to a need for financial support from the province and municipality to keep the school open. As a result, the administration of the institution shifted and Mr. MacKeen, Principal of Sydney Academy, School Inspector MacNeil and Protestant School Commissioners were appointed. The school continued to grow in the early years of the twentieth century, both in terms of student enrollment and curriculum development. In 1906, the foundation of the new building began, located on the northern part of the property. In September 1907, the superintendent of Sydney Schools declared that all senior students of Holy Angels would have to transfer to Academy to finish their instruction. The convent school would no longer offer senior courses. As a result, Holy Angels was again designated a private institution. By the year of its golden jubilee, Holy Angels had grown from four Sisters to twenty-eight. Sister St. Margaret of Scotland was installed as principal in 1936.
The school fluctuated between being a public and private institution during the first half of the twentieth century, but with the opening of the high school in 1953 it became a near-permanent fixture in the local public school system. From 1959 on, Holy Angels High School, as a part of the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board (CBVRSB), accommodated Grades 10 to 12 and serviced female students from across Cape Breton Island. All courses offered at Holy Angels High School were developed by the Nova Scotia Department of Education and the Cape Breton-Victoria Regional School Board leased the school building from the Sisters of the Congregation of Notre-Dame. Some of the programs at the school included the Nova Scotia International Student Program, a French Immersion Program, the Duke of Edinburgh Program, the Options and Opportunities Program, and the Creative
Art Certificate Program. The CBVRSB announced on October 28, 2010 that it would close Holy Angels High School, as the Sisters of the C.N.D. had decided to sell the school and convent properties. The last class was graduated in Spring of 2011 and remaining students were transferred to other CBVRSB schools. The Convent and School buildings were sold to New Dawn Enterprises Ltd., and the Sisters relocated from their Convent home.
Coronelli was a 17th century cartographer and globe maker based in Venice. In 1678 Coronelli was commissioned to make his first major globes. He also published maps and atlases including the "Atlante Veneto". Coronelli was also based in Paris between 1681 and 1683 as official map maker to King Louis XIV. Coronelli founded the world’s first geographical society, the Academia Cosmografica degli Argonauti and was awarded the official title Cosmographer of the Republic of Venice.
- Corporate body
Crawley Films was founded in 1939 by Frank "Budge" Crawley and Judith Crawley. Throughout the years following the company's inception, Crawley Films went through a period of growth, in which by the conclusion of World War Two, the company had vastly increased the number of affiliated employees. Crawley Films operated as an organization which created both sponsored films and films designed to provide entertainment. In 1975, the Crawley Films' production, "The Man Who Skied Down Everest" became the first Canadian Production to win the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature. 1982 saw the sale of the company to that of Atkinson Film Arts.
Born on December 30, 1938 to Simon Cremo and Annie Cremo in Barra head, Cape Breton. A Mi’kmaq community which is now called Potlotek. At age 4, he moved to Eskasoni, and that’s where he spent most of his life with his wife Nelly Cremo and two children, Liz Cremo and Timothy Cremo. As a young child, he would listen to his father play, an accomplished fiddler, who later taught lee to play the fiddle at the age of 7. His talent wasn’t revealed till the age of 18, at the time him and “his father were playing for a dance in Boisdale, Lee was playing the guitar accompanying his fathers fiddle. His father took a stroke during at that location and was immediately rushed to the hospital. To save the dance, Lee picked up the fiddle and finished the dance for him”. Over the years from being taught not only his father but by Winston Fitzgerald and Dan Hughie. Lee began his journey, to becoming one of the greatest fiddlers of all time. Cremo made his living in turn as a lumberman in Maine and a bus driver in Eskasoni but he appeared at the fiddling and folk music events across the world. Lee won many competitions and awards throughout his fiddling career. He won the maritime Old Time Fiddling Contest in Dartmouth, NS, six times. A trip to the Grand Master Fiddling Championships in Nashville, which he got an award for ‘ Best Bow Arm In The World’ which is documented in the film Arm of gold (1986). He also performed at events as Expo 67 for Queen Elizabeth ll, and in 1999 the launch of the Aboriginal People’s Television Network. By 1995 he had won over 80 fiddle competitions and released The Champion Returns which was voted The Best First Nations recording at the 1996 East Coast Music Awards. Lee Cremo died on October 10, 1999 at the age of 60.
Private John Bernard Croak was born in Newfoundland to James and Cecilia Croak in 1892. The family later moved to Glace Bay, where Croak attended school and later worked in the mines. In 1914, he went to Western Canada and on his way home volunteered for overseas service. He was killed in 1918 in action during the attack on Amiens Defence System that merited him the Victoria Cross.
Edward Crowdis was born in Baddeck on March 26, 1894, to Henry and Annie (Clarke) Crowdis. He enlisted for the First World War on January 25, 1916 in Sydney, and went on to serve in the 106th Overseas Battalion until he was discharged on April 12, 1919. Upon his return, Edward married Christine McPherson of Cape North and the two lived in Sydney until his death in 1978.
Michael D. Currie was a school-teacher, tradition-bearer and bard. He was married to Mary Ann MacDonald of Grand Mira and had eight children, one of whom, Lauchlin, was also a bard, producing many songs in both Gaelic and English. We can glean from his letter to the Casket (MG 6.3) that it was very important to Michael D. that pioneer Gaels be portrayed as sober, industrious individuals who overcame hardship to build a better life for themselves that that which they had left in Scotland. It may have been Michael D.'s need to "set the record straight" which incited him to produce a regular column in Teachdaire nan Gaidheal detailing immigrant Gaels trials and tribulations. He also wrote articles on Scottish history and prose in both Gaelic and English, which appeared in Teachdaire nan Gaidheal and Am Mosgladh.
Michael D. was the son of "Red Donald" and Christie Ann Currie (née Currie). His paternal grandfather had emigrated from Loch Carnan in South Uist. His maternal great-grandfather, Michael, was the son of Niall who with his family, immigrated to the Boisdale are in the 1820s. Niall's father, Lachlann, along with his brother Iain, were well-known and respected bards. Before emigrating, Lachlann read a testimony before the Gaelic Scoiety of London in which he listed his patronymic back eighteen generations through his father, Niall (the last hereditary bard to be patronized in Scotland) to Muireadhach Albannach, who came from Ireland in the 13th century to serve as bard to the Lords of the Isles. The Curries are also sometimes referred to as MacMhuirich or MacVurich. Lachlann and Iain both later removed to Blackett's Lake.