Showing 1593 results

Authority record

Abbass Studios Ltd.

  • Abbass
  • Corporate body
  • 1946-Present

The Abbass family emigrated from Lebanon to Cape Breton at the turn of the 20th century. With his wife, Lilly Khattar, Jobe Abbass built a home on Townsend Street in Sydney, N.S. and together raised twelve children. It is in this building that three of those children, George, John and Anthony started Abbass Studios in the summer of 1946.

While still in high school at Sydney Academy, George took a job as an apprentice at Meyer’s Photography, a national chain. In 1941, after graduating from high school, his brother John also secured a job with Meyers where they both learned the craft of photography. Eventually they began private work contracting jobs with the Post Record and Chronicle Herald newspapers. In January of 1943 four of the Abbass boys, George, John, Joe and Ferris, enlisted to serve during World War II. They left their younger brother Anthony (Tony), who was too young to enlist, in charge of their Post and Herald contracts. When the brothers returned from war, they received a stipend from the government to open their own business.

Abbass Studios opened its doors July 18, 1946 in the family home on Townsend Street in Sydney, N.S. . The studio offered photo finishing, portraits and commercial photography. By the mid-1960s Abbass Studio served all of the Maritime Provinces. The company built a photo finishing plant in Moncton, New Brunswick and purchased stores in New Castle, New Brunswick. The brothers eventually brought the Econo-Color Camera Stores and Studios franchise from Sherman Hines.

Abbass Studios captured and continues to document the diverse economic, political and cultural heritage of the area. The business is still in family hands and run by John’s sons Blaise and John. The Townsend Street building was demolished in 2014 and Blaise Abbass now operates Abbass Studios, Sydney from his home. John Abbass runs the store at Scotia Square Mall in Halifax.

Rev. Ronald MacGillivray

  • Antigonish
  • Person
  • 1947

Father MacGillivray (1835-1892) had been a parish priest at St. Joseph’s and Principal of the Grammar School at St. Andrew’s (both in Antigonish County) before he was appointed Parish Priest at Arisaig in 1885. In 1890, Rev. Dr. Neil MacNeil, Editor of the Casket, asked Father MacGillivray to write a history of Antigonish County. Printed as a series of articles under the pen name “S.A.” [Sargart Arisaig], it ran from 1890 until Father MacGillivray drowned in 1892.

Parker, Lewis

  • Canada
  • Person
  • 1984-1986

Lewis Parker of Toronto taught at Humber College. He is past President of the Canadian Society of Book Illustrators. Lastly, he was commissioned by Parks Canada to do murals for the Fortress of Louisbourg, Nova Scotia and Fort Beausejour, New Brunswick.

Centre Bras d'Or

  • Cape Breton
  • Corporate body
  • 1985-1993

Centre Bras d'Or Association was formed to develop in Cape Breton an environment in which artists, craftspeople, performers, critics, scholars and others could exchange all aspects of their work with one another, with the community at large and with visitors so as to reveal and enhance the natural strengths and the diversity of environment landscape, cultural heritage and creativity for the Island to the cultural and economic benefit of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Centre Bras d'Or was inspired by the example of the Banff Centre which brings artists of various disciplines together in a physically beautiful setting. Initially, they set out to seize public attention by mounting an ambitious summer festival of the Arts: 14 days of music, literary readings, weaving, exhibits, dance & theater. The first Festival attracted 4200 people. The vigor and vision of the founding group has brought the Centre a remarkable range of support ranging from Gov't of Canada (Canada Council), Dept. of Employment & Communications, DEVCO, Gov't of Nova Scotia (Dept. of Culture & Development) as well as major national firms and local organizations.

A. D. MacNeill

  • Cape Breton
  • Person
  • 1880 – 1891

Alexander Donald MacNeil, (1867-1892) was born in Orangedale, Cape Breton. He was the son of the late James & Julia (MaxQuarrie) MacNeill. He received his early education in a one-room Orangedale school, attended Sydney Academy where he received a medal for excellence in literature and began writing poetry. He attended Queens University in Kingston, Ont. His education was interrupted when his mother died (1884) and while returning home he and his brother were caught in a snowstorm. He subsequently got a cold and later contracted Tuberculosis and died at age 25.

The Great Cape Breton Flag Contest

  • Cape Breton
  • Corporate body
  • 1993

At a conference held in Prince Edward Island entitled "An Island Living" where the exchange of many "Island" experiences took place, it was discussed that Cape Breton had no political autonomy and the only Island not to have its own flag. Finding this a challenge, the editors of the Cape Bretoner magazine joined forces with ATV Cape Breton, CJCB/K94, City Printers and the Lyceum Heritage Society to launch a "Great Cape Breton Flag" contest on Heritage Day, February 15. The contest turned out to be an overwhelming success with over 2,000 entries submitted. These have been compiled in binders along with the winning entry by Kelly Gooding of Sydney Mines.

Winston "Scotty" Fitzgerald

  • Cape Breton Fiddler
  • Person
  • 1914-1987

Winston "Scotty" Fitzgerald was a well-known Cape Breton fiddler. He began playing the violin at square dances and community socials. He later joined the Maritime Merrymakers and the Cape Breton Serenaders who performed regularly on CHNS, Halifax. Fitzgerald toured the Maritimes for three years with Hank Snow and during WW2, he enlisted with the Royal Canadian Army. Following the war, his band, Winston Fitzgerald and his Radio Entertainers, were heard on CJCB Radio for years. His career spanned a 60-year period and his music influenced many local artists. Fitzgerald recorded several albums and performed on many television shows, as well as making public appearances throughout the Maritimes and New England States.

Jack Silburt

  • Cape Breton Post
  • Person
  • 1940 - 1950

Jack Silburt was a Cartoonist who worked for the Sydney Post Record (now Cape Breton Post) during the late 1940s and early 1950s. His son Alan Silburt submitted these photocopies of his sketches in 1995.

Sid Kerner

  • New York
  • Person
  • 1976

Sid Kerner was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1920. As a young man of 17 joined a Photo League where, with other photographers, attempted to reflect the times they lived in and to document what was wrong as well as what was good about our society. He also studied Modern Dance and was associated with a Theater/Dance group appearing on TV in 1939. During World War II, he served with the 28th Photo Reconnaissance Squadron in the Pacific winding up on Okinawa. After the war, he became a documentary film camera operator. In 1953, he worked at NBC-TV as a lighting director and with the advent of videotape, left and joined ABC-TV again as a lighting director. He retired in 1991 though after retirement was an active worker on a photographic series entitled "Chelsea Document." He also taught two classes of photography in the local community centre in Chelsea, New York.

Harry A. Archibald

  • Nova Scotia
  • Person
  • 1940-1950

Harry A. Archibald was a local businessperson who operated a Taxi stand in North Sydney during the 1950's. Archibald also wrote and collected poetry. Local Poems & Old Come-All-Ye Songs - the Shores of Pottles Lake and others was a published book which sold for 50 cents. Mr. Archibald also advertised his business in prose form in various media articles.

Kerner, Sid

  • Photography
  • Person
  • 1976

Sid Kerner was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1920 and as a young man of 17 joined a Photo League where, with other photographers, attempted to reflect the times they lived in and to document what was wrong as well as what was good about our society. He also studied Modern Dance and was associated with a Theatre/Dance group appearing on TV in 1939. During World War II, he served with the 28th Photo Reconnaissance Squadron in the Pacific winding up on Okinawa. After the war, he became a documentary film camera operator. In 1953, he worked at NBC-TV as a lighting director and with the advent of videotape, left and joined ABC-TV again as a lighting director. He retired in 1991 but remains active working on a photographic series entitled "Chelsea Document." He also teaches two classes of photography in the local community centre in Chelsea, New York.

Robin, Jones, and Whitman Ltd.

  • RJW
  • Corporate body
  • 1765-2006

Robin, Jones and Whitman Ltd., originally known as The Robin, Pipon Company,was established in 1765 at Arichat, Nova Scotia by John Robin of Jersey, England. With his brother Charles, John obtained the grant for the southwest half of Cheticamp Island, then secured the rest of the island shortly after establishing a second trading post there in 1767, known as La Pointe. It was here that the truck system of credit came into use in Cape Breton, as the Robins gave some fishermen goods on credit which would be paid off the next year in fish.

Manpower was one of the major issues that the Robins encountered as they worked to establish their trading posts, and so they made steps to increase the permanent population of the area. By 1774, the business was being handled by two separate companies; the Robin, Pipon Company was operating out of Gaspe while Robin and Company was operating out of Cape Breton. The three Robin brothers, John, Charles, and Philip, each had equal shares in the two firms and they were very prosperous.

The American War of Independence in 1776, however, would almost bankrupt the company. The Gut of Canso was raided by the notorious American naval officer, John Paul Jones, and the Robins had a great deal of capital invested in their ships which were not armed and thus easily captured by Jones. The loss of the ships' cargoes was equally unfortunate, especially because, due to the fact that attacks happened on land and not sea, only one third of the loss was covered by insurance.

Jones had not touched any of the Robin buildings or shallops at Arichat, however, and the company resumed its operations again in 1777, sending out new ships with the guaranteed protection of the Royal Navy. The Robins had suffered great loss but were able to maintain their establishments in North America due to their investment in one of the most successful privateering ships of the war, the Sprightly, which captured a prize worth 35,000 pounds.

In the 1780s, Robin and Company was renamed the Philip Robin Company (PRC) with Philip, John, Charles and an outside investor, John Fiott, each holding one-quarter shares in the company. The day to day operations of the company were put in the hands of an agent on Cape Breton Island.

During the 1870s, the small fishing and trading establishments at Arichat and Cheticamp merged with the Charles Robin Company in Gaspé. By 1877 they reported having 15 posts in three provinces exporting a combined 90 000 to 100 000 quintals of fish every year. In addition, the company owned 14 sea-going vessels, and directly employed over 200 men. At that time, Charles Robin Company was directed by Raulin Robin (Naples) who owned 63% of the company. In January 1886, however, the Jersey Banking Company failed and the Robin family was forced into liquidation. As a result, the Robins ceased honouring their credit obligations in Gaspé, causing great distress among the fishing population dependent upon them. The crisis was resolved when three Jersey men agreed to take over the firm and meet all of its debts and obligations. On March, 1886 the Robin family terminated its involvement with the company founded over 120 years earlier.

The Company, then under the management of Elias Collas, became limited as Charles Robin Collas and Company. The new proprietors carried on the business as before. In 1910, however, Collas and his partners sold out of Nova Scotian interests and the firm underwent another name change, becoming Robin, Jones, and Whitman Ltd. with headquarters in Halifax. In 1984 the Robin Company still existed but no longer dealt in fish, operating instead as a chain of general stores with headquarters at Paspebiac, Quebec. The company closed its doors for the last time in 2006 due to financial strains.

Boardmore, Elizabeth

  • Person
  • 1940-2004

Elizabeth Anne 'Liz' (MacDonald) Boardmore was born in Sheet Harbour, Nova Scotia in 1940. Liz was educated and trained as a teacher at the Provincial Normal College, Truro, and at St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish. After graduation, Liz taught at Duncan MacMillan High School in Sheet Harbour, where she met Harry Boardmore in the 1960s. Liz and Harry married and came to Sydney in 1966 to teach at Xavier Junior College, later UCCB. The original plan was to come to the Junior College for two years and then be transferred to Antigonish, but Harry said, "there was something in the air... and we hated to leave." Liz and Harry established the Xavier College Drama Society and early productions and drama festivals took place on the top floor of the Lyceum in Sydney, which became the Xavier College Theatre. The productions America Hurrah! (1969) and The Serpent (1970) were particularly well received at both provincial and Dominion Drama festivals. When the new College of Cape Breton campus opened in 1979, the drama society and theatre moved to its new permanent home at the Playhouse. In 1990, it was renamed the Boardmore Playhouse in honour of Liz and Harry Boardmore, for their unwavering dedication to the development of community theatre in Cape Breton. Liz was a professor of English at UCCB for 28 years and she was much loved by her many students. Her enthusiasm and passion for theatre and education was always evident. She was recognized for her work with a Cultural Life Award (1993) from the Cultural Federations of Nova Scotia and with award from the Association of Teachers of English, Nova Scotia. Elizabeth Boardmore passed away on Sunday, February 15th, 2004 at the age of 64.

Currie, Michael D.

  • Person
  • 1854-1936

Michael D. Currie was a school-teacher, tradition-bearer and bard. He was married to Mary Ann MacDonald of Grand Mira and had eight children, one of whom, Lauchlin, was also a bard, producing many songs in both Gaelic and English. We can glean from his letter to the Casket (MG 6.3) that it was very important to Michael D. that pioneer Gaels be portrayed as sober, industrious individuals who overcame hardship to build a better life for themselves that that which they had left in Scotland. It may have been Michael D.'s need to "set the record straight" which incited him to produce a regular column in Teachdaire nan Gaidheal detailing immigrant Gaels trials and tribulations. He also wrote articles on Scottish history and prose in both Gaelic and English, which appeared in Teachdaire nan Gaidheal and Am Mosgladh.
Michael D. was the son of "Red Donald" and Christie Ann Currie (née Currie). His paternal grandfather had emigrated from Loch Carnan in South Uist. His maternal great-grandfather, Michael, was the son of Niall who with his family, immigrated to the Boisdale are in the 1820s. Niall's father, Lachlann, along with his brother Iain, were well-known and respected bards. Before emigrating, Lachlann read a testimony before the Gaelic Scoiety of London in which he listed his patronymic back eighteen generations through his father, Niall (the last hereditary bard to be patronized in Scotland) to Muireadhach Albannach, who came from Ireland in the 13th century to serve as bard to the Lords of the Isles. The Curries are also sometimes referred to as MacMhuirich or MacVurich. Lachlann and Iain both later removed to Blackett's Lake.

MacKenzie, May (Mary) Ann

  • Person
  • 1902-1956

Mary Ann (or May Ann as she was known) was born in Barra Glen in 1902 to parents Roderick S. MacNeil and Sarah Campbell. She was a frequent participant in milling frolics and met her future husband at a competition in which he acted as judge. May Ann married Hugh Francis MacKenzie of Rear Christmas Island in 1939. They spent the first years of their marriage in Sydney while Hugh raised money to move back to his home parish. They built a home in Grand Narrows and had a son, Archie Sheumais. Unfortunately, their son passed away from tuberculosis at the age of six. May Ann herself died of a sudden illness in 1956.

Morrison, Murdoch

  • Person
  • 1873-1945

Murdoch Morrison was born in Ferguson's Lake near New Boston. Many of his songs appeared in Orain Fuinn is Cladaich compiled by by Alex Finlayson and published by Alexander MacLaren & Sons in 1931. He moved to Alexandra St. in Sydney. Morrison was remembered as a strong Liberal. Another of his songs appears in Beyond the Hebrides.

John Currie

  • Person
  • c1860-?

John Currie, also known as "Iagain Mór" (Big Johnny) was born in East Bay to Red Donald and Christie Ann Currie. He was known as a very good bard and was the younger brother of Michael D. Currie, a frequent contributor to Teachdaire nan Gaidheal. His maternal grandfather was the son of Niall who with his family, immigrated to the Boisdale are in the 1820s. Niall's father, Lachlann, along with his brother Iain, were well-known and respected bards. Before emigrating, Lachlann read a testimony before the Gaelic Society of London in which he listed his patronymic back eighteen generations through his father, Niall (the last hereditary bard to be patronized in Scotland) to Muireadhach Albannach, who came from Ireland in the 13th century to serve as bard to the Lords of the Isles. The Curries are also sometimes referred to as MacMhuirich or MacVurich. Lachlann and Iain both later removed to Blackett's Lake.

North Sydney Historical Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1980 -

The North Sydney Historical Society was founded in 1980 and incorporated in 1983 by the Town of North Sydney. It was formed to preserve the history of the town by opening a museum that celebrates the town’s heritage and to educate the town’s citizens about North Sydney’s past. After it was incorporated, the society opened a room in the old town hall, containing various artefacts, historical documents and photos associated with the town’s history. After the society was incorporated, residents of the town began donating artefacts, historical documents, photographs, maps and plans associated with people, businesses, organizations, events in the town’s history and notable town landmarks so they could be put on display or preserved in the society’s artifact and archive room in North Sydney’s Town Hall. The society also collected material, including the records of the former Town of North Sydney after it amalgamated with surrounding communities to form the Cape Breton Regional Municipality in 1995. After amalgamation, the historical society moved their collection to the lower level of 299 Commercial Street. On May 27, 1996, the society opened the North Sydney Heritage Museum, which contained various displays that described various aspects of the town’s rich history. Overtime, because of an aging membership and not enough staff or volunteers to run the museum on a regular basis, the society decided that they would build a community centre that would contain an interpretive-style museum, the town’s public library and other community spaces and offices. The North Sydney Historical Society opened the North Sydney Cultural and Heritage Centre in June 2011.

Boardmore Theatre

  • Corporate body
  • 1966-

Founded in 1966, the Boardmore Theatre presents an annual season of plays, including plays for young audiences, four to five full length plays, a bi-annual Shakespeare production and a bi-annual Broadway Musical, and a one week one act play festival with an emphasis on new play development. The Boardmore Playhouse is home to the Theatre and a 337 seat venue which is the centre for the performing arts at Cape Breton University. Throughout the school year and summer months the CBU Boardmore Playhouse is also involved with a number of community projects. The Playhouse provides practical expertise to community theatre groups in the form of workshops for young people as well as advise and leadership in summer theatre programs. It is named for its founders - Liz and Harry Boardmore - who nurtured a love and excellence for community theatre in Cape Breton.

John Ingram Ball

  • Person
  • 1932-1984

Ingram Ball was born at Coxheath in 1906. A carpenter by trade, he worked at Dominion Iron & Steel Corporation until 1941, since then he has been self employed. Died 1984

Results 1 to 51 of 1593