Showing 1707 results

Authority record

Abbass Studios Ltd.

  • Abbass
  • Corporate body
  • 1946-Present

The Abbass family emigrated from Lebanon to Cape Breton at the turn of the 20th century. With his wife, Lilly Khattar, Jobe Abbass built a home on Townsend Street in Sydney, N.S. and together raised twelve children. It is in this building that three of those children, George, John and Anthony started Abbass Studios in the summer of 1946.

While still in high school at Sydney Academy, George took a job as an apprentice at Meyer’s Photography, a national chain. In 1941, after graduating from high school, his brother John also secured a job with Meyers where they both learned the craft of photography. Eventually they began private work contracting jobs with the Post Record and Chronicle Herald newspapers. In January of 1943 four of the Abbass boys, George, John, Joe and Ferris, enlisted to serve during World War II. They left their younger brother Anthony (Tony), who was too young to enlist, in charge of their Post and Herald contracts. When the brothers returned from war, they received a stipend from the government to open their own business.

Abbass Studios opened its doors July 18, 1946 in the family home on Townsend Street in Sydney, N.S. . The studio offered photo finishing, portraits and commercial photography. By the mid-1960s Abbass Studio served all of the Maritime Provinces. The company built a photo finishing plant in Moncton, New Brunswick and purchased stores in New Castle, New Brunswick. The brothers eventually brought the Econo-Color Camera Stores and Studios franchise from Sherman Hines.

Abbass Studios captured and continues to document the diverse economic, political and cultural heritage of the area. The business is still in family hands and run by John’s sons Blaise and John. The Townsend Street building was demolished in 2014 and Blaise Abbass now operates Abbass Studios, Sydney from his home. John Abbass runs the store at Scotia Square Mall in Halifax.

Rev. Ronald MacGillivray

  • Antigonish
  • Person
  • 1947

Father MacGillivray (1835-1892) had been a parish priest at St. Joseph’s and Principal of the Grammar School at St. Andrew’s (both in Antigonish County) before he was appointed Parish Priest at Arisaig in 1885. In 1890, Rev. Dr. Neil MacNeil, Editor of the Casket, asked Father MacGillivray to write a history of Antigonish County. Printed as a series of articles under the pen name “S.A.” [Sargart Arisaig], it ran from 1890 until Father MacGillivray drowned in 1892.

Parker, Lewis

  • Canada
  • Person
  • 1984-1986

Lewis Parker of Toronto taught at Humber College. He is past President of the Canadian Society of Book Illustrators. Lastly, he was commissioned by Parks Canada to do murals for the Fortress of Louisbourg, Nova Scotia and Fort Beausejour, New Brunswick.

Centre Bras d'Or

  • Cape Breton
  • Corporate body
  • 1985-1993

Centre Bras d'Or Association was formed to develop in Cape Breton an environment in which artists, craftspeople, performers, critics, scholars and others could exchange all aspects of their work with one another, with the community at large and with visitors so as to reveal and enhance the natural strengths and the diversity of environment landscape, cultural heritage and creativity for the Island to the cultural and economic benefit of Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Centre Bras d'Or was inspired by the example of the Banff Centre which brings artists of various disciplines together in a physically beautiful setting. Initially, they set out to seize public attention by mounting an ambitious summer festival of the Arts: 14 days of music, literary readings, weaving, exhibits, dance & theater. The first Festival attracted 4200 people. The vigor and vision of the founding group has brought the Centre a remarkable range of support ranging from Gov't of Canada (Canada Council), Dept. of Employment & Communications, DEVCO, Gov't of Nova Scotia (Dept. of Culture & Development) as well as major national firms and local organizations.

A. D. MacNeill

  • Cape Breton
  • Person
  • 1880 – 1891

Alexander Donald MacNeil, (1867-1892) was born in Orangedale, Cape Breton. He was the son of the late James & Julia (MaxQuarrie) MacNeill. He received his early education in a one-room Orangedale school, attended Sydney Academy where he received a medal for excellence in literature and began writing poetry. He attended Queens University in Kingston, Ont. His education was interrupted when his mother died (1884) and while returning home he and his brother were caught in a snowstorm. He subsequently got a cold and later contracted Tuberculosis and died at age 25.

The Great Cape Breton Flag Contest

  • Cape Breton
  • Corporate body
  • 1993

At a conference held in Prince Edward Island entitled "An Island Living" where the exchange of many "Island" experiences took place, it was discussed that Cape Breton had no political autonomy and the only Island not to have its own flag. Finding this a challenge, the editors of the Cape Bretoner magazine joined forces with ATV Cape Breton, CJCB/K94, City Printers and the Lyceum Heritage Society to launch a "Great Cape Breton Flag" contest on Heritage Day, February 15. The contest turned out to be an overwhelming success with over 2,000 entries submitted. These have been compiled in binders along with the winning entry by Kelly Gooding of Sydney Mines.

Fitzgerald, Winston "Scotty"

  • Cape Breton Fiddler
  • Person
  • 1914-1987

Winston "Scotty" Fitzgerald was a well-known Cape Breton fiddler. He began playing the violin at square dances and community socials. He later joined the Maritime Merrymakers and the Cape Breton Serenaders who performed regularly on CHNS, Halifax. Fitzgerald toured the Maritimes for three years with Hank Snow and during WW2, he enlisted with the Royal Canadian Army. Following the war, his band, Winston Fitzgerald and his Radio Entertainers, were heard on CJCB Radio for years. His career spanned a 60-year period and his music influenced many local artists. Fitzgerald recorded several albums and performed on many television shows, as well as making public appearances throughout the Maritimes and New England States.

Jack Silburt

  • Cape Breton Post
  • Person
  • 1940 - 1950

Jack Silburt was a Cartoonist who worked for the Sydney Post Record (now Cape Breton Post) during the late 1940s and early 1950s. His son Alan Silburt submitted these photocopies of his sketches in 1995.

Kerner, Sid

  • New York
  • Person
  • 1976

Sid Kerner was born in Brooklyn, New York in 1920. As a young man of 17 joined a Photo League where, with other photographers, attempted to reflect the times they lived in and to document what was wrong as well as what was good about our society. He also studied Modern Dance and was associated with a Theater/Dance group appearing on TV in 1939. During World War II, he served with the 28th Photo Reconnaissance Squadron in the Pacific winding up on Okinawa. After the war, he became a documentary film camera operator. In 1953, he worked at NBC-TV as a lighting director and with the advent of videotape, left and joined ABC-TV again as a lighting director. He retired in 1991 though after retirement was an active worker on a photographic series entitled "Chelsea Document." He also taught two classes of photography in the local community centre in Chelsea, New York.

Harry A. Archibald

  • Nova Scotia
  • Person
  • 1940-1950

Harry A. Archibald was a local businessperson who operated a Taxi stand in North Sydney during the 1950's. Archibald also wrote and collected poetry. Local Poems & Old Come-All-Ye Songs - the Shores of Pottles Lake and others was a published book which sold for 50 cents. Mr. Archibald also advertised his business in prose form in various media articles.

Robin, Jones, and Whitman Ltd.

  • RJW
  • Corporate body
  • 1765-2006

Robin, Jones and Whitman Ltd., originally known as The Robin, Pipon Company,was established in 1765 at Arichat, Nova Scotia by John Robin of Jersey, England. With his brother Charles, John obtained the grant for the southwest half of Cheticamp Island, then secured the rest of the island shortly after establishing a second trading post there in 1767, known as La Pointe. It was here that the truck system of credit came into use in Cape Breton, as the Robins gave some fishermen goods on credit which would be paid off the next year in fish.

Manpower was one of the major issues that the Robins encountered as they worked to establish their trading posts, and so they made steps to increase the permanent population of the area. By 1774, the business was being handled by two separate companies; the Robin, Pipon Company was operating out of Gaspe while Robin and Company was operating out of Cape Breton. The three Robin brothers, John, Charles, and Philip, each had equal shares in the two firms and they were very prosperous.

The American War of Independence in 1776, however, would almost bankrupt the company. The Gut of Canso was raided by the notorious American naval officer, John Paul Jones, and the Robins had a great deal of capital invested in their ships which were not armed and thus easily captured by Jones. The loss of the ships' cargoes was equally unfortunate, especially because, due to the fact that attacks happened on land and not sea, only one third of the loss was covered by insurance.

Jones had not touched any of the Robin buildings or shallops at Arichat, however, and the company resumed its operations again in 1777, sending out new ships with the guaranteed protection of the Royal Navy. The Robins had suffered great loss but were able to maintain their establishments in North America due to their investment in one of the most successful privateering ships of the war, the Sprightly, which captured a prize worth 35,000 pounds.

In the 1780s, Robin and Company was renamed the Philip Robin Company (PRC) with Philip, John, Charles and an outside investor, John Fiott, each holding one-quarter shares in the company. The day to day operations of the company were put in the hands of an agent on Cape Breton Island.

During the 1870s, the small fishing and trading establishments at Arichat and Cheticamp merged with the Charles Robin Company in Gaspé. By 1877 they reported having 15 posts in three provinces exporting a combined 90 000 to 100 000 quintals of fish every year. In addition, the company owned 14 sea-going vessels, and directly employed over 200 men. At that time, Charles Robin Company was directed by Raulin Robin (Naples) who owned 63% of the company. In January 1886, however, the Jersey Banking Company failed and the Robin family was forced into liquidation. As a result, the Robins ceased honouring their credit obligations in Gaspé, causing great distress among the fishing population dependent upon them. The crisis was resolved when three Jersey men agreed to take over the firm and meet all of its debts and obligations. On March, 1886 the Robin family terminated its involvement with the company founded over 120 years earlier.

The Company, then under the management of Elias Collas, became limited as Charles Robin Collas and Company. The new proprietors carried on the business as before. In 1910, however, Collas and his partners sold out of Nova Scotian interests and the firm underwent another name change, becoming Robin, Jones, and Whitman Ltd. with headquarters in Halifax. In 1984 the Robin Company still existed but no longer dealt in fish, operating instead as a chain of general stores with headquarters at Paspebiac, Quebec. The company closed its doors for the last time in 2006 due to financial strains.

John Julien

John (Julian) Julien was chief (fl.1779-1805) of the Mi'kmaw people living in the Miramichi region, New Brunswick.

Scottish Catholic Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1919-

The Scottish Catholic Society of Canada, Diocese of Antigonish, was founded by Rev. Donald M. MacAdam at Iona in 1919. Its purpose was to preserve the Catholic faith among those of Scottish heritage, to propagate the history of Scotland, and to preserve the Gaelic language and Scottish traditions.

CTV Atlantic

  • Corporate body
  • 1972-

CTV Atlantic consists of four television stations in the Maritimes, owned and operated by the CTV Television Network, a division of Bell Media.

Louisbourg Scottish Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1918-?

The Louisbourg Scottish Society was organized on 14 February 1918 and initially formed because a large number of residents in the town of Louisbourg were of Scottish descent. Their purpose: to encourage a spirit of friendship and good-fellowship among the Scottish residents of the town; to enable them to meet socially and get better acquainted with each other and with their traditions and achievements; and to encourage local talent in the study and exposition of their national music, literature, and history.

The Caledonian Society of Canada

  • Corporate body
  • 1848 -1975

The Caledonian Society of Cape Breton was established in Sydney in 1848. Immigrant Gaels followed a trend earlier established in places like New York and Ontario where other Caledonian or Scottish societies had previously been formed and flourished. Major C.I.N. MacLeod was president of the Society in the 1950s. It has also been named the Sydney Celtic Club and the Cape Breton Highland Society.

Crawley Films

  • Corporate body
  • 1939-1982

Crawley Films was founded in 1939 by Frank "Budge" Crawley and Judith Crawley. Throughout the years following the company's inception, Crawley Films went through a period of growth, in which by the conclusion of World War Two, the company had vastly increased the number of affiliated employees. Crawley Films operated as an organization which created both sponsored films and films designed to provide entertainment. In 1975, the Crawley Films' production, "The Man Who Skied Down Everest" became the first Canadian Production to win the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature. 1982 saw the sale of the company to that of Atkinson Film Arts.

Cape Breton Chorale

  • Corporate body
  • 1973 - present

The Cape Breton Chorale was founded in 1973 by Sister Rita Clare, C.N.D. . With a complement of approximately 50 voices, the mixed adult group has played an important role in the cultural life of Cape Breton, performing at a variety of venues large and small both locally and abroad.

The Chorale represented Canada at the International Musical Eisteddfod in Wales in 1993. Four years later, in 1997, the Cape Breton Chorale forged links with a number of communities in Scotland, bringing the music of "New Scotland" to appreciative audiences in various cathedrals and castles from Edinburgh to the Isle of Iona. Again in July 2004, the Chorale ventured overseas for a musical tour of the Republic of Ireland. Canadian radio and television audiences have been able to enjoy the music of the Cape Breton Chorale through a number of appearances on various programs, including the CBC Choral Competitions where the Chorale competed as Atlantic finalist.

The Chorale has shared the stage with musical stars like Celine Dion and Rita MacNeil, and has performed before numerous visiting dignitaries, including Queen Elizabeth II. The group have hosted and sung with visiting choirs from Canada and Europe, participated in workshops with distinguished Canadian choral conductors, and has joined with other Nova Scotia choirs to perform major works.

The Cape Breton Chorale has released five recordings, "Christmas with the Cape Breton Chorale" (1990), "Songs of Atlantic Canada" (1991), "Remembering the Forties" (1995), "Songs of Land and Sea" (1997) and "Rejoice and Sing!" Christmas with the Cape Breton Chorale (2006). Two of its selections were chosen for the compilation "A Noteworthy Christmas: Great Canadian Choirs Sing Holiday Favorites" and the Chorale is included in "Song for the Mira", a compilation of the works of Allister MacGillivray, as well as recordings from Celtic Colours performances.

The Cape Breton Chorale is currently under the direction of Rosemary McGhee.

CTR Video Productions

  • Corporate body

CTR Video productions operated out of Isle Madame and Louisdale, Richmond County, Nova Scotia. Antonio D'Amore and Donna D'Amour both founded and operated the company.

Canadian Federation of Business & Professional Women's Club

  • Corporate body
  • 1930 to present

BPW Canada was founded in 1930, at the same time as the International Federation. The International Federation, which has Consultative 1 Status at the United Nations Economic and Social Council, now includes clubs in more than 95 countries around the world. Membership in a local club includes membership in the provincial, national and international Federations.

North Sydney Historical Society

  • Corporate body
  • 1980 -

The North Sydney Historical Society was founded in 1980 and incorporated in 1983 by the Town of North Sydney. It was formed to preserve the history of the town by opening a museum that celebrates the town’s heritage and to educate the town’s citizens about North Sydney’s past. After it was incorporated, the society opened a room in the old town hall, containing various artefacts, historical documents and photos associated with the town’s history. After the society was incorporated, residents of the town began donating artefacts, historical documents, photographs, maps and plans associated with people, businesses, organizations, events in the town’s history and notable town landmarks so they could be put on display or preserved in the society’s artifact and archive room in North Sydney’s Town Hall. The society also collected material, including the records of the former Town of North Sydney after it amalgamated with surrounding communities to form the Cape Breton Regional Municipality in 1995. After amalgamation, the historical society moved their collection to the lower level of 299 Commercial Street. On May 27, 1996, the society opened the North Sydney Heritage Museum, which contained various displays that described various aspects of the town’s rich history. Overtime, because of an aging membership and not enough staff or volunteers to run the museum on a regular basis, the society decided that they would build a community centre that would contain an interpretive-style museum, the town’s public library and other community spaces and offices. The North Sydney Historical Society opened the North Sydney Cultural and Heritage Centre in June 2011.

Boardmore Theatre

  • Corporate body
  • 1966-

Founded in 1966, the Boardmore Theatre presents an annual season of plays, including plays for young audiences, four to five full length plays, a bi-annual Shakespeare production and a bi-annual Broadway Musical, and a one week one act play festival with an emphasis on new play development. The Boardmore Playhouse is home to the Theatre and a 337 seat venue which is the centre for the performing arts at Cape Breton University. Throughout the school year and summer months the CBU Boardmore Playhouse is also involved with a number of community projects. The Playhouse provides practical expertise to community theatre groups in the form of workshops for young people as well as advise and leadership in summer theatre programs. It is named for its founders - Liz and Harry Boardmore - who nurtured a love and excellence for community theatre in Cape Breton.

Rice, Amos I.

  • Person
  • 1850-1912

Amos Ingraham Rice, born in 1850 in North Sydney, Cape Breton, was the son of Robert Muckford Rice and Sarah Maria Ingraham. He married Eliza G. and they had five children: Charles, Robert, Ingraham, James, and Frances. He became a photographer in 1865 when he opened a studio in Washington, DC. with his brother Moses Rice. He opened his own Portrait studios in North Sydney and New Glasgow. The North Sydney studio labelled their photos with Amos I. Rice, while the New Glasgow studio labelled their photos as A. I. Rice. He also opened Rice Studios Limited in Montreal with Moses and later moved to Montreal, where he died on November 23, 1912.

Worgan, Philip H.

  • Person
  • 1843-1924

Philip H. Worgan was born at Cathrope, England in 1843. Worgan joined the Royal Navy, and eventually earned the rank of Commander. He participated in the Jamaican Revolution. Following his retirement from the Navy, he removed to Sydney, Nova Scotia where he took an avid interest in civic, social, industrial and religious activities, enjoyed photography, and was an active member of the Anglican Church. There he married Anna Blackadar in 1871. The couple had nine children: seven girls and two boys. In 1887 he was elected mayor of Sydney. He also served as Superintendent of Shipping at the International Pier in Sydney. Worgan and his family resided in their family home they called Ferndell. Worgan died in 1924.

Morrison, Kenneth

  • Person
  • 1874-

Kenneth Morisson of North Framboise was born on May 28, 1874. He married Flora Morrison in 1904, and the two raised a family together. He retired in 1942.

MacKinnon, Alexander Hugh

  • Person
  • 1905-1973

Alexander Hugh MacKinnon was born at Inverness, N.S. in 1905. He was admitted to the bar in 1929. In 1940 he was elected to the Nova Scotia Legislature and held his seat until 1953. During that time he held the positions of Minister of Health, Mines and Labour. Throughout his career he had a particular interest in labour law and produced a significant report on labour in the early 1960s. In 1968 he was appointed Chief Justice of Nova Scotia and held the position until his death in 1973.

Moll, Herman

  • Person
  • 1654-1732

Herman Moll (1654 – 1732) was a map publisher and engraver based in London and Holland. Moll moved to London in 1678 where he worked as an engraver and eventually set-up his own shop. He published several important atlases late in his career. He died in London in 1732.

MacKinnon, John A.

  • Person

John A. MacKinnon was a resident of Sydney, Nova Scotia. On 23 November 1920 he married Christine MacDonald. MacKinnon had a personal interest in mining, especially in the Maple Brook area of Inverness County, where he owned land. He also held a permit allowing him to excavate for coal on his property. MacKinnon was a member of the St. Patrick's Branch League of the Cross and the Sydney Terminal Safety Committee.

Naish, S. Gordon

  • Person
  • 1900-1989

S. Gordon Naish was born 21 August 1900 at Halifax, Nova Scotia. As a child he lived all over the world, including South Africa, Ireland, Alberta, and England. While living in England, he attended Durham University and graduated with a Bachelor of Science. Naish went on to attend engineering school, where he trained as a mechanical engineer. Naish worked at the Bell Telephone Company in Montreal, P.Q., and later Peacock Brothers Ltd. He was transferred to Sydney, Nova Scotia and later took a position with Joy Manufacturing. Naish had a strong interest in scuba diving and underwater cinematography. He was also an avid skier and a founding member of the Sydney Ski Club. Naish had numerous professional and social affiliations including memberships in the Engineering Institute of Canada, the Mining Society of Nova Scotia, the Cape Breton Underwater Club, and the Youth Committee of Sydney Rotary Club. Naish died in 1989.

Bown, Matilda

  • Person
  • 1827-1910

Matilda Bown was born in 1827 in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Bown taught art and painting in North Sydney. She spent a considerable amount of time on Sable Island and she became very interested in its natural history. Bown died 12 October 1910 at North Sydney.

Huntington family

  • Person
  • 1833-1972

The Huntington family of Mira River, Nova Scotia were of Planter descent. Caleb Adolphus Huntington was the son of John and Ruth (Martell) Huntington and born at Mira River, 6 May 1833. He married on 15 January 1862 Emily Francis Gesner, who was the daughter of Gibbs Henry and Elizabeth (Hill) Gesner, born 1 May 1837. The couple had six children: Henrietta Evelina (b. 6 February 1870), Henry Gesner, Hubert, Hortense, Marian, and Francis. The family were members of the Baptist church and resided at Huntington where they operated a farm and Caleb served as a Justice of the Peace for more than forty years. Henrietta married Phillip Ingouville Gibbons 4 Oct. 1903 and the couple had ten children: Emily Gesner, Allen (died at birth), Richard Napoleon, Henry Hubert, Mary Martin, Portia Ingouville, Ruth Eveline, Gertrude, Caleb Phillip and Jetta Marion (b. 2 Sept. 1914). Henrietta died in 1943. Her daughter Jetta married John MacDonald and the couple resided at Marion Bridge.

Mitchell, Augustus Samuel

  • Person
  • 1792-

Samuel Augustus Mitchell was born in Bristol, Connecticut on March 20, 1792. Mitchell worked on the "New American Atlas" in 1831. The majority of his work involved the creation of individual maps and he was successful in creating pocket sized tourist maps for various locations in the United States.

Huntjens, Dr. Rev. Jan

  • Person

Dr. Rev. Jan Huntjens was associate professor of theology at the College of Cape Breton, Sydney, Nova Scotia from 1968 to 1978.

Lynch, John George Brooks

  • Person
  • 1885-1973

John George Brooks Lynch was born in 1885 at Almonte, Ont. In 1909 he married a Miss Butler and the couple had four children: John, Dennis, Betty and Maurice. He later remarried to Betty MacAskill. Lynch and his second wife had two children: Kevin and George. In 1906 Lynch graduated from McGill University medical school and was appointed to the medical staff of Dominion Iron and Steel Company in Sydney, N.S. around 1909. Lynch died in 1973.

Results 1 to 51 of 1707