Title and statement of responsibility area
Winston "Scotty" Fitzgerald
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
70 cm of original and photocopied textual records.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Winston "Scotty" Fitzgerald was a well-known Cape Breton fiddler. He began playing the violin at square dances and community socials. He later joined the Maritime Merrymakers and the Cape Breton Serenaders who performed regularly on CHNS, Halifax. Fitzgerald toured the Maritimes for three years with Hank Snow and during WW2, he enlisted with the Royal Canadian Army. Following the war, his band, Winston Fitzgerald and his Radio Entertainers, were heard on CJCB Radio for years. His career spanned a 60-year period and his music influenced many local artists. Fitzgerald recorded several albums and performed on many television shows, as well as making public appearances throughout the Maritimes and New England States.
Scope and content
Collection consists of original and photocopied papers, sheet music, and publications belonging to Winston "Scotty" Fitzgerald. This collection is filed in the rare book cabinet at the Beaton Institute. The following is a numerical list of his musical collection:
- The Skye Collection of Reels and Strathspeys, compiled by Keith Norman Macdonald. 1887
1a. New publication of the Skye Coll. By Paul Cranford. Dec 1 1979.
- The Athole coll. of the Dance music of Scotland, compiled by James Stewart Robertson last edition, 1961, hard cover.
- The beauties of Niel Gow parts 1-4, plus the Curious Coll. and Niel Gow’s sixth book of reels, new, hard cover (about 1787)
- Niel Gow and son's first book 2nd edition new hard cover. Sept 21 1801.
- Captain Simon Fraser Coll 1715-1745 (orig coll), new hard cover.
5a. 2nd copy of above #5 Capt. Simon Fraser note; this is the new 1982 publication by Paul Cranford.
- "The minstrelsy of the Scottish highlanders" edited and arranged by Alfred Moffat, new hard cover.
- The Scottish music worker, by James Scott Skinnerand J. Murdock Henderson. 1950, 16 pages, soft cover.
- Flowers of Scottish melody xerox copy 51 pages soft cover.
- The Scottish violinist composed and arranged by j. Scott skinner soft cover 49 pages.
- The Miller O'Hirn coll. By James Scott SkinnerXerox Copy soft cover 90 pages.
- The Logie coll. By James Scott Skinnerxerox copy soft cover 130 pages.
- Kohlers' violin repositiory of Dance music xerox copy soft cover 280 pages.
- Ringing strings by tom Anderson "traditional Shetland music and Dance". Xerox copy soft cover, 100 pages
- "Old Irish folk music and songs" by p. W. Joyce, ll.D., m.R.I.A. Dublin, 1909 hard cover
- Walton's Irish Dance music, part I soft cover, 6 pages by j. M. Crofts, a.D.C.M. Dublin
- "Harding’s original collection of jigs & reels" new York, 1928 soft cover, 61 pages note (2) copies number of second copy #16a
- Irish folk Dance music compiled by jerry O’Brien, Roxbury, mass. 1952 soft cover 269 tunes
- "Jerry O’Brien’s accordion instructor" arranged for accordion, violin, flute, bagpipes & banjo by Jerry O’Brien, 1949 soft cover, 30 pages.
- "Where the Shannon rises" selected compositions of Ed Reavy, traditional Irish compositions of Edward V. Reavy, soft cover, 81 pages 1971
19a. Second copy of #19 (xerox copy)
- "Ceol rince na heireann" (tunes from 1871 1956) collected by Sheain Potts, Ireland. Soft cover, 214 tunes, titles written in Irish Gaelic.
- Allan's Irish fiddler contains 120 tunes by Mozart Allan, printed in England soft cover, 32 pages. Note there are three of these books #'s 21, 21a, 21b
- "Allan’s reels, strathspeys and general Dance music" enlarged edition by Mozart Allan, Scotland, soft cover, 47 pages.
- "One thousand fiddle tunes" by M. M. Cole Publishing Co., Chicago, 1940 soft cover, 120 pages.
- "Kerr’s second" coll. Of merry melodies for the violin 445 airs, soft cover, 50 pages
- "Kerr’s third" coll. Of merry melodies for the violin, 446 airs, soft cover, 51 pages.
- "The cape Breton collection of Scottish melodies" compiled by Gordon F. MacQuarrie and Joseph Beaton, Medford, Mass. 1940 soft cover, 50 pages.
- "MacEachern's collection of cape Breton Scottish music for violin" vol. I composed by Dan Hughie MacEachern, Queensville, N.S. 1975 soft cover, 44 pages
- "Mabou music" composed by Joseph Beaton vol. I published by the casket printing co. Ltd., soft cover, 8 tunes
- Dan R. Macdonald compositions, 28 pages, soft cover, hand written tunes of the late Dan r. Macdonald (in his own writing) note many of these tunes haven't been published.
- The Scottish Dance album arranged by J. Michael Diack, soft cover, 16 tunes, 15 pages, 1st violin.
- "Kerr’s modern Dance album" for the violin by James s. Kerr, soft cover, 16 pages quadrilles, schottisches, etc., #j.S.K. 478
- The Balmoral reel book, collection of the most admired tunes by Bayley & Ferguson, Scotland, soft cover, 37 pages
32a. Second copy of above.
- Middleton's selection of strathspeys & reels for the violin by Peter Milne, Edinburgh, soft cover, 38 pages.
33a. Second copy of above.
- "Mozart Allan’s collection of Dance music" for the violin for amateur performers. 1st collection, soft cover, 49 pages
- "Mozart Allan’s collection of Dance music" for the violin & amateur performers, second collection, soft cover, 49 pages
- "Old Scottish music" collected & adapted for Scottish country Dances by Annie Shand, 1932 soft cover, 49 pages
36a. Second copy of above.
- "Unknown name collection of violin tunes” hornpipes, jigs, reels, etc., cover and title of collection is missing, soft cover, 106 pages.
- "The Braemar collection of highland music for the piano" arranged by Alfred Moffatt, Glasgow. Xerox copy, soft cover, 1916 #b.3016f. 85 pages
- Very old collection of violin tunes, polkas, jigs, reels etc., soft cover (original cover and title are missing, 48 pages.
- "Universal violin and piano album" violin part, Mozart Allan, Glasgow, soft cover, 25 pages.
- "U.S. School of music" home study course for the violin, New York, lessons 1 96 note (several pages missing)
- Scottish songs, cover and title missing, soft cover, 245 pages.
- Hand written music, various pages and tunes written for Winston, taken from various collections and some local made compositions, soft cover, approximately 300 pages.
- "Scottish songs" #2 original cover & title is missing, new soft cover (yellow) 216 pages.
- Scottish & Irish vol. I various pieces taken from rare violin collections bound together to make up a collection, approximately 100 pages, soft (new) cover.
- Scottish & Irish vol. II, various pages and loose music from collections, etc., new soft cover, approximately 75 pages.
- Scottish & Irish vol. III, loose music given to Winston bound in this collection, new soft cover approximately 80 pages.
- "Don Messer’s way down east" fiddle tunes, January, 1948 soft cover, 32 pages, 98 tunes.
- Scottish song collection, original cover and title missing. New soft cover, 64 pages.
- Valley waltzes 75 waltzes for violin, piano, mandolin and flute complied by Roma McMillan published by O.F.C. Publications, Ottawa, 1983. Soft cover, xerox copy, 55 pages.
- "Song book" modern music original cover and title missing, new soft cover. 286 pages.
- "Dancla" vol. 219. Schirmer's library of musical classics by George Lehmann, copyright 1928 soft cover, 19 pages.
- Songs of the world original title & cover missing, new soft cover, 208 pages by amsco music sales co., New York City
- Clarinet polka, sheet music p.S. No. 181 for piano solo, Vitak Jelsnic co. Chicago.
- Kerr's collection of the popular tunes of all nations, soft cover by James S. Kerr, Glasgow, 50 pages.
- Bagpipe collection "The Glendaruel Collection" compiled by Pipe Major W. Norris, Scotland up to date settings, soft cover, 60 pages.
- Bagpipe collection: the J. Wilson coll. Book I original cover is missing, new soft cover, 48 pages.
- Bagpipe collection: "The William Ross Coll." December, 1936, original cover missing, new soft cover, 44 pages.
- Bagpipe collection: "Highland Bagpipe" how to play the highland bagpipe compiled and arranged by P. M. James Robertson, soft cover, 70 pages.
- Bagpipe collection: "The Edinburgh coll. (part 9) of highland bagpipe music" compiled and arranged by David Glen, Edinburgh, soft cover, 30 pages.
- Bagpipe collection: "The Edinburgh coll. (part 10) of highland bagpipe music" compiled and arranged by David Glen, soft cover, 30 pages.
- Bagpipe collection: "The Seaforth highlanders" standard settings of pipe makers, soft green cover, Paterson’s Publications Ltd., London, 136 pages.
- Bagpipe collection: a made up collection of loose pages from various pipe works, December, 1987. New soft cover, about 60 pages.
- Bagpipe collection: scots guards vol I standard settings of pipe music, 1954. New red hard cover, 275 pages.