- Newspaper 12
Daniel Cobb Harvey: "The only other newspaper which originated in 1840 was the Cape Breton Advocate, published at Sydney by Richard Huntington and edited by the Reverend Otto S. Weeks, principal of the Grammar School. It ran until the end of 1841 when the press was taken over by J.D. Kuhn, who published the Spirit of the Times, an agricultural, commercial, literary, and general newspaper. It lasted until 1846, when the plant was again sold to William C. McKinnon, who changed the name first to the Cape Breton Spectator but afterwards to the Times and Cape Breton Spectator. The latter ceased publication in 1850 and was succeeded by the Commercial Herald, which lasted but a few months. McKinnon in turn sold to James P. Ward, who published the Cape Breton News and conducted it successfully until 1871 or 1872."