Showing 403 results

Archival description
401 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects
Baddeck Telephone
Newspaper 2 · File · 1898-1900

The Baddeck Telephone (1898-1900) was the second newspaper published in Baddeck, after the Island Reporter (1884-1887). The newspaper was a six-page broadsheet containing local news and advertisements. The paper started when Charles H. Peppy acquired the unused presses and typeset from the Island Reporter and relocated to the west end of Chebucto Street near Gertrude Hall. The newspaper ended soon after Peppy had been sued for libel by a politician. The Baddeck Telephone had only been published for over a year.

Bras D'Or Advertiser
Newspaper 16 · File · 1936

The Bras D'Or Advertiser was published in Baddeck by S. A. MacLeod.

Eastern Beacon
Newspaper 92 · File · 1879-1889

The Eastern Beacon was established in 1879 and was published on Wednesdays. The newspaper consisted of four 23" x 33" pages and cost $1.25 per annum. J. A. Cogswell was both the editor and publisher of the Eastern Beacon.

Forward
Newspaper 91 · File · 1893-1934

Gertrude E. N. Tratt: "Volume 1 of the Forward made its initial appearance in Truro on January 19, 1893. It was subsequently published at different times and for varying periods at Windsor, Halifax, Wolfville, and, since 1954 [ie. 1946] at Digby. The publication in 1893 represented the first time that the Sons of Temperance had assumed the full financial responsibility for its periodical. The editors have been successively W.S. Sanders, Rev. A. A. MacLeod, Rev. Edward Morris, and Rev. G. E. Levy. It has four 12" x 18 1/2" pages with five columns each and appears bi-monthly. Its subscription rate has climbed from an original 25 cents p.a. (per annum) to $3.50, and its circulation has fluctuated considerably between 800 to 1,400."