Showing 3163 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions Nova Scotia
Print preview View:

1513 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Morrison's Mill, Sydney

  • CA BI 96-271-26959
  • Item
  • ca. 188?

Item is a photograph of a man and his horse outside Morrison's Mill in Sydney.

General Hospital, Glace Bay

  • CA BI 76-19
  • Item
  • 191-?

Item is a postcard depicting the General Hospital in Glace Bay, N.S. as it stood in the early 20th century.

Victoria Road

  • CA BI 83-6385-13685
  • Item
  • [192-]

Item is a postcard depicting the Victoria Road subway in Whitney Pier, N.S.

Victoria Road

  • CA BI 83-6386-13686
  • Item
  • [192-]

Item is a street view of the northern end of Victoria Road in Whitney Pier, N.S.

Sydney Steel Module

  • Reports:
  • Item
  • [201-]

Item is "Sydney Steel Module" by Kassandra Jabalee and Hannah Fournier, compiled for History 3105.

Terra Nova

  • CA BI MAP 501
  • Item
  • 1600

Item is an early map of Eastern Canada. Bertius derived this map from Petrus Plancius' map of North America (1594), which documented Newfoundland as a single island for the first time.

Bertius, Pertrus

Nieuwe koart van Terre Neuf en Nieuw Schotland

  • CA BI MAP 248
  • Item
  • 1703

Map by engraver Herman Moll showing fishing resources of Newfoundland, Nova Scotia and the Gulf of St. Lawrence during early 18th century. This map depicts shared international fishing banks before the Treaty of Utrecht of 1713 created geo-political boundaries restricting fishing territories.

Moll, Herman

View of Louisbourg

  • CA BI 77-1369-1503
  • Item
  • ca. 1731

Item is a photograph of a view of Louisbourg.

Carte de L'Isle Royale 1744

  • CA BI MAP 711
  • Item
  • 1744

This item is a hand-coloured map of Isle Royale (Cape Breton Island) by Jacques Nicolas Bellin from the Petit Atlas Maritime published in 1764. During the French colonial period, permanent settlement on Isle Royale grew to 4000. This map shows changes in place names reflecting the French and Mi'kmaw presence.

Bellin, Jacques Nicolas

A Plan of the City and Harbour of Louisburg with inset map of The Island of Cape Breton

  • CA BI MAP 249
  • Item
  • 1747

Item is a map showing details of Louisbourg Harbour and Gabarus Bay with a full inset map of Cape Breton Island, labelled Isle Royal. Documents the landing place and camp of the New England forces as well as the fortified town of Louisbourg, various battery locations, French settlements and the lighthouse.

Kitchin, Thomas

Map of New England and Nova Scotia

  • CA BI MAP 247
  • Item
  • 1758

Item is a map of New England and Nova Scotia showing Newfoundland and Cape Breton Island situated in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. The map includes identified fishing banks.

Kitchin, Thomas

Isle Royale

  • CA BI MAP 707
  • Item
  • 1764

Item is an 18th century map of the Gulf of St. Lawrence and Acadie from Bellin's "Petit Atlas Maritime."

Bellin, Jacques Nicolas

Port de Louisbourg dans l'Isle Royale

  • CA BI MAP 805
  • Item
  • 1764

This map was originally part of Bellin's "Le Petit Atlas Maritime" showing French fortifications destroyed during the 1758 siege.

Bellin, Jacques Nicolas

A chart of the Island of Cape Breton

  • MAP 667
  • Item
  • 1767

Item is an original map showing acreage of Cape Breton townships, parishes, and counties. The map identifies "Indian Hunting Country" based on an earlier survey completed by Samuel Holland.

Battle for Coal

  • CA BI 77-1377-1511
  • Item
  • 1781

Item is a postcard of several ships afloat surrounded by smoke from fires.

Founding of Sydney, 1785

  • CA BI 76-114
  • Item
  • 1785

Item is a photograph of a painting of the founding of Sydney.

Lord Dundonald

  • CA BI 77-975-1109
  • Item
  • 1797

Item is a photograph of a painted portrait of Capt. Cochrane, later Lord Dundonald. The item is a self portrait, with the background being the seawall in Halifax.

Timothy Hogan fonds

  • CA BI MG 11.42
  • Fonds
  • 1796-1799

Fonds consists of a copy of a licence to open and keep a school in Sydney, together with certification that Mr. Hogan took oath against Popery.

Capt. Charles Barrington

  • CA BI 77-622-756
  • Item
  • ca. 1800

Item is a photograph of Captain Charles Barrington, a resident of Barrington Park, Sydney Mines.

Mrs. John Barrington

  • 77-622-756b
  • Item
  • ca. 1800

Item is a photograph of Mrs. John Barrington o f Sydney Mines.

MacDonald, Angus

  • CA BI 94-132-24647
  • Item
  • 1800s

Item is a photograph of Angus MacDonald of Castle Bay

MacNeil, Hector Character Reference

  • CA BI MG 6.5
  • Fonds
  • 1802

Fonds consists of a character reference for Hector MacNeil, one of the first Scottish settlers of Christmas Island.

MacNeil, Hector

View of Sydney, Cape Breton

  • CA BI 77-1360-1494
  • Item
  • 1805

Item is a painting of a view of Sydney that was created by Lt. Col. Kearney.

Nova Scotia and Cape Breton

  • CA BI MAP 199
  • Item
  • 1834

This item is Belcher's map of Nova Scotia including Cape Breton. The map was compiled from surveys by William MacKay in 1834. Map shows township boundaries and expanding communication and transportation infrastructure including telegraph stations and railway lines.

Belcher, C.H. and MacKay, William

Sydney Harbour

  • CA BI 77-1358-1492
  • Item
  • 1840

Item is a photograph of Sydney Harbour.

View of Sydney

  • CA BI 77-1359-1493
  • Item
  • 1842

Item is a photograph of a view of Sydney.

Mars Cottage, Sydney

  • CA BI 77-1344-1478
  • Item
  • September 8, 1844

Item is a painting of the temporary residence of Captain Bradford, painted by Col. Alex Cavalie Mercer who lived from 1783-1868.

Capt. Crawley's House, Crawley's Creek

  • CA BI 77-1343-1477
  • Item
  • 1845

Item is a watercolour painting of Captain Crawley's house in Crawley's Creek, done by Captain Alex Cavalie Mercer who lived from 1783-1868.

The Spirit of the Times, and the Cape Breton Free Press

  • Newspaper 12
  • File
  • 1843-1845

Daniel Cobb Harvey: "The only other newspaper which originated in 1840 was the Cape Breton Advocate, published at Sydney by Richard Huntington and edited by the Reverend Otto S. Weeks, principal of the Grammar School. It ran until the end of 1841 when the press was taken over by J.D. Kuhn, who published the Spirit of the Times, an agricultural, commercial, literary, and general newspaper. It lasted until 1846, when the plant was again sold to William C. McKinnon, who changed the name first to the Cape Breton Spectator but afterwards to the Times and Cape Breton Spectator. The latter ceased publication in 1850 and was succeeded by the Commercial Herald, which lasted but a few months. McKinnon in turn sold to James P. Ward, who published the Cape Breton News and conducted it successfully until 1871 or 1872."

Wilmot's House, Sydney

  • CA BI 77-1345-1479
  • Item
  • 1845

Item is a watercolour painting by Captain Alex Cavalie Mercer (1783-1868) of the Wilmot House in Sydney.

Rev. Norman MacLeod

  • CA BI 77-829-963
  • Item
  • ca. 1845

Item is a photograph of Rev. Norman MacLeod.

The Times and Cape Breton Spectator

  • Newspaper 71
  • File
  • 1846-1849

Daniel Cobb Harvey: "It (The Spirit of the Times) lasted until 1846, when the plant was again sold to William C. McKinnon, who changed the name first to the Cape Breton Spectator but afterwards to the Times and Cape Breton Spectator. The latter ceased publication in 1850 and was succeeded by the Commercial Herald, which lasted but a few months."

Rev. Matthew Wilson

  • CA BI 77-828-962
  • Item
  • ca. 1850

Item is a photograph of the first Presbyterian Minister in Sydney Mines from 1842-1883, Rev. Matthew Wilson.

The Commercial Herald

  • No Newspaper Number
  • File
  • 1849-1850

The Commercial Herald was owned and edited by William C. MacKinnon. Gertrude E. N. Tratt: "It lasted for only a few months and was followed almost immediately by the Cape Breton News."

Stores on the Esplanade, Sydney

  • CA BI 77-1567-1701
  • Item
  • ca. 1851

Item is a photograph of Anderson's Paint Store, originally owned by James Anderson, the Sydney Steam Mills, a bakery, general store and a dry goods store on the Esplanade in Sydney.

Bitterman House

  • CA BI 78-1229-2979
  • Item
  • ca. 1852

Item is a photograph of the Bitterman family home located on West Middle River Road. The house was owned by the Kent Bitterman family from 1976 to 1984.

First Graduates, Arichat College

  • CA BI 77-471-605
  • Item
  • ca. 1853

Item is a photograph of the first graduates of Arichat College, which was founded in 1853. Two years later, the College was moved to Antigonish and St. Francis Xavier College was established.

Left to right: Duncan MacEachern of Glendale, Judge MacIsaac of Antigonish, and Prof. A. G. MacDonald, River Denys.

Bourinot Home, Esplanade

  • CA BI 77-1568-1702
  • Item
  • ca. 1855

Item is a photograph of the Bourinot House on the Esplanade in Sydney.

Murdoch McDonald Deed

  • CA BI 2016-009
  • Item
  • 1859

Donation consists of one land grant in the name of Murdoch MacDonald at Boularderie Island. Signed on December 20th 1859 by Charles Tupper. Registered in 1860.

Government of Nova Scotia

Presbyterian Church

  • CA BI 77-107-241
  • Item
  • ca. 1860

Item is a photograph of the Presbyterian Church at Indian Cove. The church was the landing location for the Prince of Wales on July 28, 1860. It was the first Presbyterian Church in Sydney Mines. The Archibald property is visible on both sides of the road.

Rev. D.M. MacAdam

  • CA BI 77-173-307
  • Item
  • ca. 1860

Item is a photographic portrait of Rev. D.M. MacAdam, pastor at Sacred Heart Church in Sydney.

Results 1 to 51 of 3163