Fonds consists of Poetry and correspondence of Mr. MacFarlane, as well as
several scrapbooks and postcards of WWI.
A. The poem “Springtime in Margaree” was a gift of Sister St. Frances of Rome, C.N.D.
B. Correspondence and papers presented by the MacFarlane Family are arranged as received:
- Correspondence and papers pertaining to W. S. MacFarlane’s military service, 1919-1946. Original, 17 items
- Military disability pension correspondence and papers, Typescript, 46 pages
- Correspondence and papers of and about Peter MacFarlane (brother of W.S.), 1944-1960. Original and typescript, 1 cm
- Family and personal correspondence including Letters to the Editor on politics in Inverness County, 1922-1961. Original and typescript, 40 pages
- Correspondence from John F. Gillis, mainly about local politics, 1940-1956. Original and typescript, 19 pages
- Correspondence concerning appointment of W. S. MacFarlane as Fishery Officer on the Margaree River, 1921. Original, 5 pages
- Correspondence from James D. Gillis concerning MacFarlane’s poetry and about a map of the world drawn by Mr. Gillis, 1929-1963. Original, 8 pages
- Correspondence pertaining to MacFarlane’s poetry, 1937-1977. Original and typescript, 34 pages
- There is no physical folder for B9. January, 1985: #9 removed and incorporated in #19.
- Correspondence and papers re copyright of MacFarlane’s poetry, together with the Canada Act respecting copyright, 1952-1956. Typescript and print, 75 pages
- Poetry by Various authors, mainly Cape Bretoners. Original, 32 items.
- Memorial cards and obituaries for the MacFarlane family, 1881-1967.
- Obituaries of 31 Inverness County residents. Clippings
- Miscellaneous household invoices and receipts, 1931-1952
- Birth certificates for Ann MacFarlane, Walter S. MacFarlane, Last Will of W.S. MacFarlane, 1936, for land at Margaree Forks. Original, 3 items.
- Printed material:
a) St Michael’s Parish Report, 1949
b) Annual Report, St. Joseph’s Church, South West Margaree, 1962
c) to m) pamphlets pertaining to servicemen and regulations respecting them, 1919-1945
- 22 postcards, mostly World War I period, together with Souvenir Programme 1939-1945 Victory Parade, Saturday, June 8th
- Scrapbook of clippings compiled by Jim MacFarlane, Seattle, Washington, U.S.A. -- Mainly poetry in English and Gaelic. 1946, held in London, England. 1 page
- Additional obituaries of the MacFarlane family, 1931-1963. Original, typescript and print, 15 pages
- Obituaries of Inverness County residents. Original and print, 22 pages
- Songs of the Valley: The Poetry and Songs of Walter Scott MacFarlane. Original writing, together with galley proof of the book which was published in 1984, edited by Mr. MacFarlane’s niece, Kay MacDonald and his son, Patrick. Original and typescript, 2 cm
- Scrapbook of clippings of poetry by Walter MacFarlane. Typescript and prints, 1 cm