Fonds consists of two minute books and one photograph of the South Bar Knitting Club. Though the club was formed in 1938, records of meetings begin for the organization on January 6, 1939, and continue until February 12, 1951. The minutes of the club record the election of officers, fundraising events, and general business of each meeting. The minutes detail the involvement of the club in fundraising for the war effort during WWII. Various engagements with other community organizations such as the Young Men's Christian Association, Red Cross, and Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire are recorded. The photograph was taken in 1950 and is a black and white image of the members of the society.
Item is a short film that documents Major Gordon MacNeil of Grand Narrows and other militia leaving for war on September 4, 1939, 26 hours after declaration of war by Great Britain. To read more about the film, in Malcolm MacNeil's words: FT-212 [http://beaton.cbu.ca/atom/files/FT-212.pdf].
Fonds consists of Poetry and correspondence of Mr. MacFarlane, as well as several scrapbooks and postcards of WWI. A. The poem “Springtime in Margaree” was a gift of Sister St. Frances of Rome, C.N.D. B. Correspondence and papers presented by the MacFarlane Family are arranged as received:
Correspondence and papers pertaining to W. S. MacFarlane’s military service, 1919-1946. Original, 17 items
Military disability pension correspondence and papers, Typescript, 46 pages
Correspondence and papers of and about Peter MacFarlane (brother of W.S.), 1944-1960. Original and typescript, 1 cm
Family and personal correspondence including Letters to the Editor on politics in Inverness County, 1922-1961. Original and typescript, 40 pages
Correspondence from John F. Gillis, mainly about local politics, 1940-1956. Original and typescript, 19 pages
Correspondence concerning appointment of W. S. MacFarlane as Fishery Officer on the Margaree River, 1921. Original, 5 pages
Correspondence from James D. Gillis concerning MacFarlane’s poetry and about a map of the world drawn by Mr. Gillis, 1929-1963. Original, 8 pages
Correspondence pertaining to MacFarlane’s poetry, 1937-1977. Original and typescript, 34 pages
There is no physical folder for B9. January, 1985: #9 removed and incorporated in #19.
Correspondence and papers re copyright of MacFarlane’s poetry, together with the Canada Act respecting copyright, 1952-1956. Typescript and print, 75 pages
Poetry by Various authors, mainly Cape Bretoners. Original, 32 items.
Memorial cards and obituaries for the MacFarlane family, 1881-1967.
Obituaries of 31 Inverness County residents. Clippings
Miscellaneous household invoices and receipts, 1931-1952
Birth certificates for Ann MacFarlane, Walter S. MacFarlane, Last Will of W.S. MacFarlane, 1936, for land at Margaree Forks. Original, 3 items.
Printed material: a) St Michael’s Parish Report, 1949 b) Annual Report, St. Joseph’s Church, South West Margaree, 1962 c) to m) pamphlets pertaining to servicemen and regulations respecting them, 1919-1945
22 postcards, mostly World War I period, together with Souvenir Programme 1939-1945 Victory Parade, Saturday, June 8th
Scrapbook of clippings compiled by Jim MacFarlane, Seattle, Washington, U.S.A. -- Mainly poetry in English and Gaelic. 1946, held in London, England. 1 page
Additional obituaries of the MacFarlane family, 1931-1963. Original, typescript and print, 15 pages
Obituaries of Inverness County residents. Original and print, 22 pages
Songs of the Valley: The Poetry and Songs of Walter Scott MacFarlane. Original writing, together with galley proof of the book which was published in 1984, edited by Mr. MacFarlane’s niece, Kay MacDonald and his son, Patrick. Original and typescript, 2 cm
Scrapbook of clippings of poetry by Walter MacFarlane. Typescript and prints, 1 cm
Correspondence regarding St. Anthony’s Church Bell, 1911
League of the Cross (L.O.C.) Dominion, 1930 2 documents
Series B: Memoranda including background information for Mr. Stephenson’s two books.
Proofs of Mr. Stephenson’s two books. 20 pages
Material General Mining Association supplied to miners, 1831-1832. 40 pages.
Company Store Records, 1878-1884, 35 pages.
Miners’ time book and waste book; Materials General Mining Association supplied to miners 1882-1891 66 pages.
Company Store records; time book; waste book 1883-1890 48 pages
Papers including Dominion Town Council election results; Minutes of the first town Council and school board meetings 1906; inventory of Dominion Electric Light Department, 1959. 263 Pages.
Series C: Deeds: Photocopy, 1826-1946 relating to the Bridgeport area, 31 pages, 1 folder.
John Claghan to John Young; L’Indian bay 1826
William the Fourth to William Cadegan, Catherine Stanton, Reardon O’BRIEN, John Handley, John Murphy and John Casey; S.S. Lingan Bay, 1832
John and Bridget Murphy to Roman Catholics - South Side Lingan Bay, 1840.
Walter and Catherine Young to Roman Catholic Episcopate Corporation of Arichat; South Side Lingan Bay, 1869.
Walter and Catherine Young to Roman Catholic Episcopate Corporation of Arichat ; Lingan, 1884.
GMA to Henry Mitchell; Bridgeport, 1890.
Rev. John Cameron to John Phalen, Old Bridgeport, 1900
The Crown to James Cooney, Anastasia Cooney & Ann O’Neal; Between Lingan Basin and Little Glace Bay [Bridgeport], 1878.
Cooney & O’Neil to Joseph Campbell; Bridgeport, 1881
Cooney & O’Neil to Roderick Johnston; Bridgeport 1892
James & Anastasia Cooney to Lawrence O’Neil; Bridgeport 1892
James & Mary Ann Cooney to Ann O’Neil; Bridgeport, 1892
Cooney to Alexander Mc Donald; Bridgeport, 1893
O’ Neil & Cooney to James Mac Neil; Bridgeport, 1893
O’Neil to Cooney; Bridgeport, 1894
Cooney to Annie Crosby; Bridgeport, 1904
Cooney to Alexander Mc Donald; Bridgeport, 1905
Cooney to O’Neil to Dominion Coal Company , Bridgeport, 1917
Cooney to Walter Graham; Main Road leading from Bridgeport to Dominion [Bridgeport] 1932
Daniel Joseph Cooney to Walter Graham; Main Road leading from Bridgeport to Dominion [Bridgeport] 1928
Cooney to Alexander N. Mac Neil; Main Road leading from Bridgeport [Bridgeport] 1932
Cooney to Mrs. S.J. Cooney; Main Road Glace Bay to Bridgeport [Bridgeport] 1932
Cooney to Ignatius Mc Intyre; East Side of Phalen’s Rd. [Bridgeport] 1944
Cooney to Alexander M. Mc Neil; Main Rd. Leading from Bridgeport to Dominion [Bridgeport] 1944
Daniel Joseph Cooney to Francis Joseph Mc Mullin; Bridgeport, 1946
Series D: Clippings
Biographical material relating to Dominion; including matters concerned with the Second World War; Social news, Churches and Law and Order.
Clippings referring to August Gale, 1873; 1909 Strike; Tramline route, 1914; Bands And Orchestras - Michalik, 1927; Polish orchestra, 1927; Roosevelt’s death, 1945; VE day riots - Halifax; end of WW II.
Series E: Photographs (See Photograph Collection #25) Four volumes pertaining to the Town of Dominion and the organization of Mr. Stephenson’s two books: Dominion, Nova Scotia 1906-1981 and souvenir booklet on the History of the Dominion Volunteer Fire Department.
Series F. Scrapbooks:
1901-1961 Cuttings relation to Dominion, 8cm.
Material relating to Bridgeport and Bridgeport Mine, 3 cm.
Cuttings pertaining to Dominion and Mr. Stephenson 1960's and 1970's
School records, 1888, Mitchell’s School, Photocopies, 7 pages
Cuttings relating to religion (RC) and education in Dominion in mid twentieth century, 2 cm.
Cuttings from Dominion-New Waterford areas, May-August, 1947, compiled by John Mac Kinnon, Dominion, 2cm.