Showing 48 results

Archival description
Only top-level descriptions Buildings With digital objects
Print preview View:

Baddeck

  • CA BI 78-725-2475
  • Item
  • ca. 1880

Item is a photograph of a view of the town and harbour of Baddeck from the balcony of Bras d'Or House.

Keisel, Theodore

Beinn Bhreagh

  • CA BI 80-514-4694
  • Item
  • 1911

Item is a photographic postcard of Beinn Bhreagh, the summer residence of Alexander Graham Bell.

Bras d'Or House, Baddeck

  • CA BI 77-205-339
  • Item
  • ca. 1890

Item is a photograph of the original Bras d'Or House in Baddeck. The original house was destroyed by a fire in 1894 then rebuilt in 1896. The property was owned and operated by Alex Anderson, then by Jack MacKenzie and later by Alton Langille. Finally the building was made in apartments.

Brick Row, Sydney Mines

  • CA BI 77-385-519
  • Item
  • 1971

Item is a photograph of brick row, one of several coal miners' tenements in Sydney Mines, built by the General Mining Association. This was the only tenement still standing in 1977.

Bridgeport

  • CA BI 80-19-4199
  • Item
  • ca. 1900

Item is a photograph of a street scene showing D.J. McDonald's Store and the Methodist Church in Bridgeport.

Charlotte Street, Sydney

  • CA BI 80-858-5038
  • Item
  • ca. 1890

Item is a photograph of Charlotte Street, Sydney, taken from the roof of the courthouse, Victoria Park. Shows Charlotte St., St. Patrick's Church and the Methodist Church. St. Patrick's Church is now operated by the Old Sydney Society as both a museum and event venue.

Donkin Farm

  • CA BI 78-161-1911
  • Item
  • ca. 1920

Item is a photograph of a farm in Donkin. There are several sheep on the farm and a barn can be seen in the background.

First Concelebrated Mass of Fr. J.H. MacEachern

  • CA BI 76-63a
  • Item
  • 1950-1970

Items are photographs of
a: Pictured is the first concelebrated Mass of Fr. J.H. MacEachern in St. Ninian's Cathedral in Antigonish.
b: Twelve men are shown. Several wear ribbons reading 'Directors', 'Faculty' or 'Staff'. Reverend J. B. Nearing is sitting, third from the left.

First Concelebrated Mass of Fr. J.H. MacEachern

  • CA BI 76-63b
  • Item
  • 1950-1970

Items are photographs of
a: Pictured is the first concelebrated Mass of Fr. J.H. MacEachern in St. Ninian's Cathedral in Antigonish.
b: Twelve men are shown. Several wear ribbons reading 'Directors', 'Faculty' or 'Staff'. Reverend J. B. Nearing is sitting, third from the left.

Glace Bay Hospital

  • CA BI 80-500-4680
  • Item
  • 1916

Item is a photograph of a view of Glace Bay.

McLeod, Norman

Greenwood Church, Baddeck

  • CA BI 77-199-333
  • Item
  • ca. 1898

Item is a photograph of the Greenwood Church in Baddeck. Baddeck Harbour is visible in the background.

Group of Catholic Clergy

  • CA BI 77-803-937
  • Item
  • ca.1915

Item is a photograph is of approximately thirty-three members of the Catholic Clergy. Bishop James Morrison is in the center of the front row and Reverend Leo O'Connell is the first person in the front row. The rest of the men are unidentified and the occasion is unknown.

Holy Ghost Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

  • CA BI MG 13.131
  • Fonds
  • 1912-1984

Fonds includes one parish brochure (1982) containing a brief history of the founding of the Holy Ghost Ukrainian Catholic Church in Sydney with images of congregation members. Also included is one reel of microfilm (MB 66) listing the following vital statistics for the parish :

Birth and Baptism Records 1912-1985
First Communions
Marriages 1932-1984
Deaths 1935-1984

Holy Redeemer Church, Sydney

  • CA BI 77-929-1063
  • Item
  • 1919

Item is a photograph of Holy Redeemer Church in Sydney with the clergy and Knights of Columbus on the convent steps following the blessing of the church. Persons within the photograph are identified on its reverse.

Holy Redeemer Church, Whitney Pier

  • CA BI 77-723-857
  • Item
  • ca. 1910

Item is a composite photograph featuring images of the interior and exterior of Holy Redeemer Church, Whitney Pier, its glebe and convent, and an inset of Reverends MacInnis and McDonald.

Lyceum Theatre, Sydney

  • CA BI 78-902-2652
  • Item
  • ca. 1920

Item is a photographic postcard of the Lyceum Theatre, Sydney, showing Sacred Heart Church.

Sydney's Lyceum was constructed in 1904 as a multi-purpose cultural centre. Since that time, the building has housed countless live performances, a library, and even a gymnasium. Currently owned by the Old Sydney Society and known as the Cape Breton Centre for Heritage and Science, the building was recognized as a heritage building in 1983 and continues to host exhibits that highlight Sydney's history.

MacIsaac House

  • CA BI 78-141-1891
  • Item
  • ca. 1920

Item is a photograph of the MacIsaac house in Schooner Pond.

Millionaire MacNeil's House, Baddeck

  • CA BI 77-207-341
  • Item
  • ca. 1898

Item is a photograph of "Millionaire" MacNeil's house, later known as the Inverary Inn. The home was constructed by Neil MacNeil.

Mission, Chapel Island

  • CA BI 77-731-865
  • Item
  • 1976

Item is a photograph of a young boy sitting in the front of a boat. The church in Chapel Island is in the background.

Msgr. Finlay Chisholm

  • CA BI 77-661-795
  • Item
  • ca.1880

Item is a photograph of Msgr. Finlay Chisholm, who was the parish priest in S.W. Margaree for over 60 years. The photograph shows him with a horse and riding sleigh with a part of a church in the background which was destroyed by a fire in 1960.

Rev. Brian MacDonald

  • CA BI 77-644-778
  • Item
  • ca. 1967

Item is a photograph of Rev. Brian MacDonald of Holy Redeemer Parish, Whitney Pier.

Rt. Rev. Geo. Fr. Arnold, Anglican Bishop

  • CA BI 77-693-827
  • Item
  • ca. 1970

Item is a photograph of Fr. Arnold officiating at a special service at St. John's Anglican Church, North Sydney. The names of other clergy are featured on the reverse of the photograph.

Sacred Heart Parish, Sydney

  • CA BI 77-725-859
  • Item
  • 1911

Item is a photographic collage of five photographs featuring the glebe, the exterior and interior of the church, Reverend J. Quinan and Reverend D.M. McAdam.

St. Andrew's Church

  • CA BI 77-676-810
  • Item
  • ca.1914

Item is a photograph of of St. Andrews Church on Bentinck Street, Sydney, featuring a horse-drawn hearse.

St. Anne's Church

  • CA BI 80-200-4380
  • Item
  • [ca. 1924]

Item is a photograph of the chariot used in annual procession to honour St. Anne.

St. Anne's Mission, Potlotek First Nation (Chapel Island)

  • CA BI 79-1162-4142
  • Item
  • 1976

Item is a framed photograph of St. Anne's Church, prior to the December fire in 1976 caused by a lighting strike which destroyed it. Photograph depicts the Procession during the Feast of St. Anne. Father Rankin is shown near the front of the procession.

Raytel Photography

St. Ann's Church, Glace Bay

  • CA BI 77-721-855
  • Item
  • Ca. 1900

Item is a collage of four photographs, featuring the interior and exterior of St. Ann's Church, Glace Bay.

St. Barra's Church, Christmas Island

  • CA BI 77-668-802
  • Item
  • ca. 1960

Item is a photograph of a sketch of St. Barra's Church, Christmas Island, which burned down in 1973.

St. Barra's Church, Christmas Island

  • CA BI 77-724-858
  • Item
  • ca. 1900

Item is a photograph of St. Barra's Church, Christmas Island, built in 1881. It features an inset photograph of Rev. Michael MacKenzie.

St. Joseph's Church, SW Margaree

  • CA BI 79-1017-3997
  • Item
  • 1920

Item is a photograph of interior and exterior views of St. Joseph's Church, Southwest Margaree.

St. Mary's Church, East Bay

  • CA BI 77-822-956
  • Item
  • ca. 1930

Item is a photograph of St. Mary's Church, East Bay, and Father Michael MacCormick, 1918-1961.

St. Philips African Orthodox Church

  • CA BI 88-644-18154
  • Item
  • [n.d.]

Item is a photograph of the congregation of St. Philips African Orthodox Church in Whitney Pier, N.S.

Statue of St. Anne, Chapel Island

  • CA BI 77-729-863
  • Item
  • January 24, 1977

Item is an original photograph of the statue at the St. Anne's Mission in Chapel Island taken January 24, 1977.

Statue of St. Anne, Chapel Island

  • CA BI 77-728-862
  • Item
  • 1976

Item is a photograph of the statue at the St. Anne's Mission in Chapel Island taken on December 21, 1976.

Stephenson, Leonard

  • CA BI MG 12.197
  • Collection
  • 1826-1979

Collection consists of the following:

Series A

  1. Correspondence regarding St. Anthony’s Church Bell, 1911
  2. League of the Cross (L.O.C.) Dominion, 1930 2 documents

Series B: Memoranda including background information for Mr. Stephenson’s two books.

  1. Proofs of Mr. Stephenson’s two books. 20 pages
  2. Material General Mining Association supplied to miners, 1831-1832. 40 pages.
  3. Company Store Records, 1878-1884, 35 pages.
  4. Miners’ time book and waste book; Materials General Mining Association supplied to miners 1882-1891 66 pages.
  5. Company Store records; time book; waste book 1883-1890 48 pages
  6. Papers including Dominion Town Council election results; Minutes of the first town Council and school board meetings 1906; inventory of Dominion Electric Light Department, 1959. 263 Pages.

Series C: Deeds: Photocopy, 1826-1946 relating to the Bridgeport area, 31 pages, 1 folder.

  1. John Claghan to John Young; L’Indian bay 1826
  2. William the Fourth to William Cadegan, Catherine Stanton, Reardon O’BRIEN, John Handley, John Murphy and John Casey; S.S. Lingan Bay, 1832
  3. John and Bridget Murphy to Roman Catholics - South Side Lingan Bay, 1840.
  4. Walter and Catherine Young to Roman Catholic Episcopate Corporation of Arichat; South Side Lingan Bay, 1869.
  5. Walter and Catherine Young to Roman Catholic Episcopate Corporation of Arichat ; Lingan, 1884.
  6. GMA to Henry Mitchell; Bridgeport, 1890.
  7. Rev. John Cameron to John Phalen, Old Bridgeport, 1900
  8. The Crown to James Cooney, Anastasia Cooney & Ann O’Neal; Between Lingan Basin and Little Glace Bay [Bridgeport], 1878.
  9. Cooney & O’Neil to Joseph Campbell; Bridgeport, 1881
  10. Cooney & O’Neil to Roderick Johnston; Bridgeport 1892
  11. James & Anastasia Cooney to Lawrence O’Neil; Bridgeport 1892
  12. James & Mary Ann Cooney to Ann O’Neil; Bridgeport, 1892
  13. Cooney to Alexander Mc Donald; Bridgeport, 1893
  14. O’ Neil & Cooney to James Mac Neil; Bridgeport, 1893
  15. O’Neil to Cooney; Bridgeport, 1894
  16. Cooney to Annie Crosby; Bridgeport, 1904
  17. Cooney to Alexander Mc Donald; Bridgeport, 1905
  18. Cooney to O’Neil to Dominion Coal Company , Bridgeport, 1917
  19. Cooney to Walter Graham; Main Road leading from Bridgeport to Dominion [Bridgeport] 1932
  20. Daniel Joseph Cooney to Walter Graham; Main Road leading from Bridgeport to
    Dominion [Bridgeport] 1928
  21. Cooney to Alexander N. Mac Neil; Main Road leading from Bridgeport [Bridgeport] 1932
  22. Cooney to Mrs. S.J. Cooney; Main Road Glace Bay to Bridgeport [Bridgeport] 1932
  23. Cooney to Ignatius Mc Intyre; East Side of Phalen’s Rd. [Bridgeport] 1944
  24. Cooney to Alexander M. Mc Neil; Main Rd. Leading from Bridgeport to Dominion [Bridgeport] 1944
  25. Daniel Joseph Cooney to Francis Joseph Mc Mullin; Bridgeport, 1946

Series D: Clippings

  1. Biographical material relating to Dominion; including matters concerned with the
    Second World War; Social news, Churches and Law and Order.
  2. Clippings referring to August Gale, 1873; 1909 Strike; Tramline route, 1914; Bands
    And Orchestras - Michalik, 1927; Polish orchestra, 1927; Roosevelt’s death, 1945;
    VE day riots - Halifax; end of WW II.

Series E: Photographs (See Photograph Collection #25)
Four volumes pertaining to the Town of Dominion and the organization of Mr. Stephenson’s two books: Dominion, Nova Scotia 1906-1981 and souvenir booklet on the History of the Dominion Volunteer Fire Department.

Series F. Scrapbooks:

  1. 1901-1961 Cuttings relation to Dominion, 8cm.
  2. Material relating to Bridgeport and Bridgeport Mine, 3 cm.
  3. Cuttings pertaining to Dominion and Mr. Stephenson 1960's and 1970's
  4. School records, 1888, Mitchell’s School, Photocopies, 7 pages
  5. Cuttings relating to religion (RC) and education in Dominion in mid twentieth century,
    2 cm.
  6. Cuttings from Dominion-New Waterford areas, May-August, 1947, compiled by John
    Mac Kinnon, Dominion, 2cm.

Stephenson, Leonard Fielding