Title and statement of responsibility area
The Spirit of the Times, and the Cape Breton Free Press
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Kuhn, Jacob D.
- The Spirit of the Times, and the Cape Breton Free Press was published on Fridays.
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Scope and content
Daniel Cobb Harvey: "The only other newspaper which originated in 1840 was the Cape Breton Advocate, published at Sydney by Richard Huntington and edited by the Reverend Otto S. Weeks, principal of the Grammar School. It ran until the end of 1841 when the press was taken over by J.D. Kuhn, who published the Spirit of the Times, an agricultural, commercial, literary, and general newspaper. It lasted until 1846, when the plant was again sold to William C. McKinnon, who changed the name first to the Cape Breton Spectator but afterwards to the Times and Cape Breton Spectator. The latter ceased publication in 1850 and was succeeded by the Commercial Herald, which lasted but a few months. McKinnon in turn sold to James P. Ward, who published the Cape Breton News and conducted it successfully until 1871 or 1872."
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Microfilm available: MB 76.
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Spirit of the Times (July 19, 1842 - ) available in bound volume at Nova Scotia Archives.