Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Stephenson, Leonard Fielding
Physical description area
28 cm of textual and graphic materials
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Leonard (Len) Stephenson was born on November 6, 1921 in Dominion, Nova Scotia. After working briefly as a coal miner before the outbreak of World War 2, Leonard joined the Merchant Marines and served as a medic for the duration of the war. After returning to Dominion, he worked as local postmaster from 1952 until 1987 and also served for more than fifty years with the Dominion Volunteer Fire Department. Stephenson published a souvenir booklet titled The History of the Dominion Volunteer Fire Department as well as a history of Dominion to mark the town's 75th anniversary.
A dedicated volunteer and community historian, Mr. Stephenson spent many years developing and operating the Dominion Heritage SchoolHouse Museum as well as collecting and preserving many records related to the heritage of Dominion and its people. His commitment to volunteerism extended to participation as a board member for organizations such as the Cape Breton Miners' Museum, Children's Aid Society of Cape Breton, the Dominion Credit Union and Seaview Manor.
Len Stephenson and his late wife Audrey have two daughters, Mary Anita McCormick and Joanne Gillis. Mr. Stephenson passed away at the age of 95 on August 27 2017.
Scope and content
Collection consists of the following:
- Correspondence regarding St. Anthony’s Church Bell, 1911
- League of the Cross (L.O.C.) Dominion, 1930 2 documents
Series B: Memoranda including background information for Mr. Stephenson’s two books.
- Proofs of Mr. Stephenson’s two books. 20 pages
- Material General Mining Association supplied to miners, 1831-1832. 40 pages.
- Company Store Records, 1878-1884, 35 pages.
- Miners’ time book and waste book; Materials General Mining Association supplied to miners 1882-1891 66 pages.
- Company Store records; time book; waste book 1883-1890 48 pages
- Papers including Dominion Town Council election results; Minutes of the first town Council and school board meetings 1906; inventory of Dominion Electric Light Department, 1959. 263 Pages.
Series C: Deeds: Photocopy, 1826-1946 relating to the Bridgeport area, 31 pages, 1 folder.
- John Claghan to John Young; L’Indian bay 1826
- William the Fourth to William Cadegan, Catherine Stanton, Reardon O’BRIEN, John Handley, John Murphy and John Casey; S.S. Lingan Bay, 1832
- John and Bridget Murphy to Roman Catholics - South Side Lingan Bay, 1840.
- Walter and Catherine Young to Roman Catholic Episcopate Corporation of Arichat; South Side Lingan Bay, 1869.
- Walter and Catherine Young to Roman Catholic Episcopate Corporation of Arichat ; Lingan, 1884.
- GMA to Henry Mitchell; Bridgeport, 1890.
- Rev. John Cameron to John Phalen, Old Bridgeport, 1900
- The Crown to James Cooney, Anastasia Cooney & Ann O’Neal; Between Lingan Basin and Little Glace Bay [Bridgeport], 1878.
- Cooney & O’Neil to Joseph Campbell; Bridgeport, 1881
- Cooney & O’Neil to Roderick Johnston; Bridgeport 1892
- James & Anastasia Cooney to Lawrence O’Neil; Bridgeport 1892
- James & Mary Ann Cooney to Ann O’Neil; Bridgeport, 1892
- Cooney to Alexander Mc Donald; Bridgeport, 1893
- O’ Neil & Cooney to James Mac Neil; Bridgeport, 1893
- O’Neil to Cooney; Bridgeport, 1894
- Cooney to Annie Crosby; Bridgeport, 1904
- Cooney to Alexander Mc Donald; Bridgeport, 1905
- Cooney to O’Neil to Dominion Coal Company , Bridgeport, 1917
- Cooney to Walter Graham; Main Road leading from Bridgeport to Dominion [Bridgeport] 1932
- Daniel Joseph Cooney to Walter Graham; Main Road leading from Bridgeport to
Dominion [Bridgeport] 1928
- Cooney to Alexander N. Mac Neil; Main Road leading from Bridgeport [Bridgeport] 1932
- Cooney to Mrs. S.J. Cooney; Main Road Glace Bay to Bridgeport [Bridgeport] 1932
- Cooney to Ignatius Mc Intyre; East Side of Phalen’s Rd. [Bridgeport] 1944
- Cooney to Alexander M. Mc Neil; Main Rd. Leading from Bridgeport to Dominion [Bridgeport] 1944
- Daniel Joseph Cooney to Francis Joseph Mc Mullin; Bridgeport, 1946
Series D: Clippings
- Biographical material relating to Dominion; including matters concerned with the
Second World War; Social news, Churches and Law and Order.
- Clippings referring to August Gale, 1873; 1909 Strike; Tramline route, 1914; Bands
And Orchestras - Michalik, 1927; Polish orchestra, 1927; Roosevelt’s death, 1945;
VE day riots - Halifax; end of WW II.
Series E: Photographs (See Photograph Collection #25)
Four volumes pertaining to the Town of Dominion and the organization of Mr. Stephenson’s two books: Dominion, Nova Scotia 1906-1981 and souvenir booklet on the History of the Dominion Volunteer Fire Department.
Series F. Scrapbooks:
- 1901-1961 Cuttings relation to Dominion, 8cm.
- Material relating to Bridgeport and Bridgeport Mine, 3 cm.
- Cuttings pertaining to Dominion and Mr. Stephenson 1960's and 1970's
- School records, 1888, Mitchell’s School, Photocopies, 7 pages
- Cuttings relating to religion (RC) and education in Dominion in mid twentieth century,
- Cuttings from Dominion-New Waterford areas, May-August, 1947, compiled by John
Mac Kinnon, Dominion, 2cm.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Collection in process of being placed online.