The Baddeck Telephone (1898-1900) was the second newspaper published in Baddeck, after the Island Reporter (1884-1887). The newspaper was a six-page broadsheet containing local news and advertisements. The paper started when Charles H. Peppy acquired the unused presses and typeset from the Island Reporter and relocated to the west end of Chebucto Street near Gertrude Hall. The newspaper ended soon after Peppy had been sued for libel by a politician. The Baddeck Telephone had only been published for over a year.
2018 YCW Internship
33 Archival description results for 2018 YCW Internship
The Bras D'Or Advertiser was published in Baddeck by S. A. MacLeod.
The Eastern Beacon was established in 1879 and was published on Wednesdays. The newspaper consisted of four 23" x 33" pages and cost $1.25 per annum. J. A. Cogswell was both the editor and publisher of the Eastern Beacon.
Gertrude E. N. Tratt: "Volume 1 of the Forward made its initial appearance in Truro on January 19, 1893. It was subsequently published at different times and for varying periods at Windsor, Halifax, Wolfville, and, since 1954 [ie. 1946] at Digby. The publication in 1893 represented the first time that the Sons of Temperance had assumed the full financial responsibility for its periodical. The editors have been successively W.S. Sanders, Rev. A. A. MacLeod, Rev. Edward Morris, and Rev. G. E. Levy. It has four 12" x 18 1/2" pages with five columns each and appears bi-monthly. Its subscription rate has climbed from an original 25 cents p.a. (per annum) to $3.50, and its circulation has fluctuated considerably between 800 to 1,400."
Gertrude E. N. Tratt: "The Bulletin, an Independent Liberal weekly, had originated in 1890. Its publisher was J.J. Williams. It had 18" x 24" pages at first but doubled the number during its first decade. It cost $1.50 per annum and had a circulation varying from 1,200 to 1,500."
"A local news weekly for the home."
Punching with Pemberton was a monthly newspaper published in Glace Bay by J. Earle Pemberton from 1960-1965. A single issue costed 25 cents and was sold at various locations in Glace Bay, New Waterford, Reserve, and Sydney.
Gertrude E. N. Tratt: "A short-lived Labour monthly of the depression years, this magazine was edited and published by Anthony Traboulsee. Its eight 10" x 12" pages were devoted to the interest that its name implied. Its annual price was 50 cents."
"A publication issued by the Publicity Committee, Anniversary Organization, and dedicated to Sydney's 150th birthday."
Gertrude E. N. Tratt: "The only information known about this is that it was listed for the years indicated (1910-1913) in the Canadian Almanac and Directory."
Gertrude E. N. Tratt: "Only the almanacs attest to the existence of the Star. It was described as a weekly, with a circulation of 1,200 and with Independent-Labour interests."
The Canadian Commonwealth (23 May 1914): "The Canadian Commonwealth was published every Saturday morning by "The Canadian Commonwealth, Ltd." of North Sydney, Cape Breton." Rev. Edwin H. Burgess of North Sydney was the editor. Contributing editors included Rev. John Pringle, D.D., Rev. D. M. Gillies, D.D., and Rev. J. F. Tupper. A yearly subscription costed $1 in Canada and $1.50 in the United States and foreign countries.
Gertrude E.N. Tratt: "A veritable chain of publications following each other in close succession from 1840, finally ended with the Cape Breton Times. The earliest in the series was the Cape Breton Advocate published by Richard Huntington and edited by Otto S. Weeks. Its prospectus was dated 24 July 1840 and read: "It is proposed to publish the Sydney, Cape Breton, as soon as a sufficient number of subscribers can be obtained, a Weekly Newspaper to be called "THE CAPE BRETON ADVOCATE". It will be printed on a quarter sheet of fine paper, the size of the Halifax Pearl at the rate of Fifteen Shillings per annum payable half yearly ... a correct and copious Marine Journal will be published in every number, and the fluctuations of the American, West India, and Provincial Markets will be duly noticed ... a general summary of foreign and domestic intelligence will be given ... with a correct record of local events. During the sessions of the Legislature the proceedings will always be briefly noted. Communications, when not of a personal nature will ... be ... inserted. The day of publication will be Wednesday"."
Gertrude E. N. Tratt: "The Cape Breton News had four 12" x 18" pages, each of four columns. It was made up largely of news items but contained as well poetry and advertisements. Its annual price was 10s, changing to $2 before it ceased publication in the early Seventies."
Gertrude E. N. Tratt: "In 1872 the Cape Breton Times, which had absorbed the circulation list of the (Cape Breton) News, appeared. It had four 23" x 33" pages, and cost $1.50 and later $1.75 per annum. It had about 700 to 1000 regular subscribers. M.A. Shaffer was manager for the Cape Breton Publishing Co."
"A newspaper published in the interests of Finlay MacDonald, Conservative Candidate in Cape Breton South."
The Clan Macneil News was "The Official Organ of the Clan Macneil Association of America" and was published every two months by the Kisimul Sept of the Association at Glace Bay, Nova Scotia. Subscriptions costed $1 per year. Macneil of Barra was listed as editor in chief and A. D. MacNeill was listed as secretary of the Kisimul Sept.
The Clan Macneil News: "The Macneil News, circulating as it does among Scots all over North America, will be a good medium for advertising especially for houses dealing in goods and publications of special interest to Highlanders, and more particularly to clan societies. It is the aim of the publishers to produce a periodical of interest to clansmen generally and it will have a special appeal to Cape Breton Scots abroad."
The Commercial Herald was owned and edited by William C. MacKinnon. Gertrude E. N. Tratt: "It lasted for only a few months and was followed almost immediately by the Cape Breton News."
The Daily Gazette was published in Glace Bay, Nova Scotia by the Gazette Publishing Co., Limited. It was published every afternoon, Sundays and legal holidays excepted. The price of a single issue was 2 cents.
The Daily Record was published in Sydney, Cape Breton. The cost of one individual paper was 2 cents and the cost of a yearly subscription was $3. Other subscriptions included six months for $1.50, three months for 75 cents, and one month for 30 cents. According to the newspaper, The Daily Record was available for sale at bookstores and hotels. It could also be purchased at post offices in country districts.
Gertrude E. N. Tratt: "The earliest of the predecessors of the Bulletin was the Eastern Journal, which began as a weekly in 1889. J. C. Bourinot was editor and publisher and the Journal was Liberal in sympathy. Its subscribers usually numbered about 1,000 and paid $1 p.a. (per annum). It contained four 20" x 26" pages. About 1910 it merged into the Journal-Bulletin."
Gertrude E. N. Tratt: "Apparently a weekly for the first five years of its existence, the Gazette then became the first of the two dailies in the newspaper history of Glace Bay. It terminated about 1950, although its circulation figures were well over four thousand at that time. Independent for most of its fifty years, it became a Labour organ about 1948. Published by the Gazette Publishing Company, its manager in 1909 was John Byrenton, who was replaced in 1923 by A. D. MacNeil.
Originally it had eight 16" x 22" pages. The number later varied between eight and sixteen and there were always seven column on each page. Its circulation has also varied widely between 2,000 and 8,200. Its price of $3 eventually doubled."
The Inverness County Guardian was published in Port Hood every Wednesday by D. W. Jones, the publisher and editor of the newspaper. A yearly subscription costed $2.00 per year in Canada and $2.50 per year in the United States. The newspaper was Independent in politics.
Ned MacDonald: "On August 4, 1904, the first issue of the "Inverness News", published by A.S. MacAdam, appeared on the streets. The newspaper had a tendency to exaggerate the potential of the town, sold for two cents, was printed weekly, and was enthusiastically received. It informed, organized and agitated through its editorials. It became a vehicle for the proclamation of views on social, economic, cultural, and political issues. The "Inverness News" was the link that expressed and documented the evolving days of the town."
The Island Reporter was published every Wednesday morning in Sydney. The cost of the newspaper was $1 per annum or 3 cents for a single issue.
J. W. D. Stearns: "The Morning Sun is the only daily newspaper east of Halifax, Nova Scotia, and is printed every morning (Sunday excepted) at Sydney, Cape Breton, office No. 106 South Charlotte St. It gives the cable and telegraphic news by special services direct from New York and other centres of information, and lacks none of the facilities of a thorough newspaper. Subscription price is $6 per year. Advertising rates $1 per inch first insertion, 25 cents each continuation. Special rates on advertising contracts according to space and time."
Gertrude E. N. Tratt: "The Herald, the oldest weekly in Cape Breton, began as a weekly with four 24" x 36" pages and a circulation of slightly more than 800. James W. Gould was editor and publisher, but within five years was succeeded by A.C. Bertram. Under Bertram's ownership the paper was more than tripled its circulation to 2,750 and its format altered, first to four 19 1/4" x 28 1/2" pages, and then to eight 15" x 23" pages. During these years it was Conservative in politics.
Sometime before 1910 the North Sydney Herald Publishing Company had begun to issue the paper. Its politics changed from Liberal-Conservative to Liberal, then to Independent. The circulation rose to a peak of 4,700 in 1918, and then began a steady decline. While it retained its eight pages, these reverted to Bertram's 19 1/4" x 22 1/2" size.
For some years after 1920, a daily as well as a weekly edition was published. At that time J. S. MacDonald was manager of the Herald Publishing Company. The daily, like the weekly, was an eight page newspaper. It cost $6 per annum, was Liberal in politics, and it had a circulation of 1,700.
The daily apparently ended about 1928 but the weekly continued for another 20 years. In the mid-thirties it became once more politically Independent."
The North Sydney News Boy was published every Tuesday evening by MacKeen, Moore & Co. and costed 25 cents per annum until about 1885. It was then published the third Saturday of every month and costed 10 cents per annum. R. J. Coleman was listed as manager.
The North Sydney News Boy (4 Sept. 1883): "Our object is, in the first place, to give the current news of the day in the most condensed and explicit form; next, to inform the public on subjects of general importance without boring them with details of minor interest.
Public men and public events will be referred to without animus or personality.
Politics, - except as the action of politicians affect our immediate interests, - shall be carefully eschewed.
Religious matters or correspondence, except when of general interest, will not be admitted to our columns.
Local information will be carefully attended to, and no references made unless of interest to the community."
Michael Earle: "In December 1929 the first edition of a new paper, The Nova Scotia Miner, was printed in Glace Bay, declaring itself the "organ of District 26 Left Wing Committee." Worked into the masthead, on either side of the emblem of a crossed pick and shovel, was the slogan "Workers of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your chains."
According to the Edwin Alden & Bro.'s American Newspaper Catalogue, the Port Hood Referee consisted of four 22" pages and was printed weekly. It had a circulation of 375 and was classified as an Independent paper.
Daniel Cobb Harvey: "The only other newspaper which originated in 1840 was the Cape Breton Advocate, published at Sydney by Richard Huntington and edited by the Reverend Otto S. Weeks, principal of the Grammar School. It ran until the end of 1841 when the press was taken over by J.D. Kuhn, who published the Spirit of the Times, an agricultural, commercial, literary, and general newspaper. It lasted until 1846, when the plant was again sold to William C. McKinnon, who changed the name first to the Cape Breton Spectator but afterwards to the Times and Cape Breton Spectator. The latter ceased publication in 1850 and was succeeded by the Commercial Herald, which lasted but a few months. McKinnon in turn sold to James P. Ward, who published the Cape Breton News and conducted it successfully until 1871 or 1872."
Daniel Cobb Harvey: "It (The Spirit of the Times) lasted until 1846, when the plant was again sold to William C. McKinnon, who changed the name first to the Cape Breton Spectator but afterwards to the Times and Cape Breton Spectator. The latter ceased publication in 1850 and was succeeded by the Commercial Herald, which lasted but a few months."